Sprinter 4x4 build to seat & sleep 9 + Using onboard compressed air to pressurize water tanks (and wheel well tank recommendation?)

drodio

Entrepreneur & Lifehacker
I've got a build thread going over on the Sprinter forum for my 170" 2020 Sprinter 4x4 build to seat & sleep 9 people: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/89458/

Had a question over there that might be better for this group:
  • Water: I'd like to get 30-40 gallons of water onboard. Previously, I created the "Khitchen" which was great; might do something like that again. Wondering if anyone has played around with using onboard air to pressurize water tanks? Here's a thread on that topic.
Would love advice from anyone on using compressed air in this way!

Last edited:

llamalander

If you want to pressurize a 40 gallon tank, it will have to be cylindrical and it's bound to be heavy along with the 330 pounds of water itself. Being round, it will use plenty of space beyond the 20" x 40+" tank dimension. Instead of plumbing your compressor to a pressure vessel, adding a shutoff and an overpressure valve, and charging your system when you want to use it, buy pump that pressurizes the line between it and your faucet/sprayer and keeps it pressurized until the water runs out.
Considering that a 12v. pump is smaller than a 40oz. can and runs off of just dozens of watts drawing from any shape or material tank you want, sealed or not, why do you want to make your project more complicated?
Installing a 12v. battery for the pump alone is not complicated or expensive if you want to run it apart from your vehicle. It will also help fill those tanks, which will have to happen every other day with a full bus, so make that as easy as you can for yourself.
If you're excited about the Road Shower idea, price out getting 8 (5 gal. each) of them and mounting them on the roof and see what else you might be able to do with that kind of budget.
With 9 people camping out of a van, you'll need your setup to run like a clock without a minute of downtime if everyone is going to enjoy the trip.

hg1027

I'm not clear if this is someone's daily during the week, or adventures only.

I think you've already bought the van. So wondering about a school bus wouldn't be helpful.

If it didn't have to seat as well as sleep, that would be a little bit easier. I can't think of 8 other people I could handle being in one vehicle. My wife and 2 kids and 2 parents and I have road tripped in minivans and suvs before, but any additional bladders and hungry tummies might be tough to satisfy.

So I would be thinking one adventure van with a trailer for when you need 9 beds, and either build with the trailer in mind or plan on a second small car for 3-4 of the people.

D

Deleted member 9101

9 people farting, breathing, and snoring in such a small space is going to be pretty unpleasant at night with out some serious A\C or ventilation.

billiebob

I've got a build thread going over on the Sprinter forum for my 170" 2020 Sprinter 4x4 build to seat & sleep 9 people: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/89458/

Had a question over there that might be better for this group:
  • Water: I'd like to get 30-40 gallons of water onboard. Previously, I created the "Khitchen" which was great; might do something like that again. Wondering if anyone has played around with using onboard air to pressurize water tanks? Here's a thread on that topic.
Would love advice from anyone on using compressed air in this way!
I've tried on board air to pressurize the water tank and while it works, it is no where near as effective as a pump. Nor as simple as an electric pump.
When the water tank is full there is very little air to pressure up and water pressure/flow drops off quickly as the water is displaced. On the last 1/4 tank the preformance is remarkably better since the volume of air in the tank is 4fold more than when the tank is full of water.

An electric pump works consistently full or almost empty tank, the pressure and flow rate are constant. Way more enjoyable.

Last edited:

drodio

Entrepreneur & Lifehacker
Yeah I think everyone in here is right -- I'll stick to the water pump. Was trying to minimize the electrical load and use the compressed air I already have onboard, but it sounds like the cons outweigh the pros. Appreciate the perspective!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
On the upside, unless you're trying to air-up your tires and pump water at the same time, the electrical load from the water pump should be a fraction of that of an air compressor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz