Sprinter 4X4 available in Canada

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
What a long, strange trip it's been. This is a big day for those of us who heard our first 4WD Sprinter rumor in 2006.

gggplaya

What a long, strange trip it's been. This is a big day for those of us who heard our first 4WD Sprinter rumor in 2006.

It was more than just a rumor this time. They made an official announcement a few months ago that the 4x4 version was coming to north America. It just makes sense to drop it in Canada first.

haven

Expedition Leader
Looks like an $8600 CAN option, available on any model. That's about $7700 USD.

I can understand why interest in a 4x4 option may be higher in Canada than USA. Let's hope Mercedes USA makes the 4x4 option available on as many models, and at a similar price.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Are ya takin' bets on your next Jensen project, Mike? (smile)

-- Don
You know, buddy, a year ago, the smart money would have definitely bet on us doing a new 4WD one. But, unexpectedly, the "stopgap" Sprinter we built last winter is working out really well, so well that it's looking less likely we'll get ourselves the new 4WD. And even if we do, the build we'd do would probably look just like the one we did, as I'm VERY pleased with how the layout and systems are working out for us.

It's kind of a tough decision, since we'd certainly break six figures building out a new, well-optioned 4x4 2015 and we haven't got half that in the current one. So it might be hard to rationalize the extra money. On the other hand, I've been wanting to get a 4WD Sprinter for the ten years since I worked with CMI to try to talk Iglhaut Allrad into converting my '05, so the force is strong. I'll keep you posted.

(The last Sprinter build is here, for anyone interested who hasn't seen it: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...nd-Mike-Convert-a-Mid-Tall-T1N-Sprinter-Cargo)

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
While I am still in the infatuation phase with our low mile '06, I currently would not give up the 5cyl for 4x4. However, I just got my Timbren units today for front and rear, and may change my mind if the suspension firms up. But in the mean time, I am considering rear locker, Aluminess front light bar with hitch mount for removable winch, and years of travel with the savings....

jgolden

Adventurer
I'm super stoked for the North American release of the 4x4 Sprinter. Keep the info flowing as it come out!!!

gggplaya

While I am still in the infatuation phase with our low mile '06, I currently would not give up the 5cyl for 4x4. However, I just got my Timbren units today for front and rear, and may change my mind if the suspension firms up. But in the mean time, I am considering rear locker, Aluminess front light bar with hitch mount for removable winch, and years of travel with the savings....

Who sells a locking rear for the sprinter?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Oberaigner offers locking center front and rear diffs for the current Sprinter: http://www.oberaigner.com/en/products/mercedes-benz/sprinter-4x4/
It'll be good if that works out. Back in 2008, Upscale Automotive was set up to use the Oberaigner components in the kit offered by South African company Sportsvans to make Sprinter 4x4s. Upscale was the North American representative and installer of the the Sportsvan conversions, and they got one example built for Tom Tasso (motobueno here on ExPo; trip report of a drive in his Sprinter here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/20766-Sprinter-4x4-Trail-Run).

DSC02114.jpg

Apparently, though, Oberaigner, was told by Mercedes to make sure their distributors were not permitting the components to be sold for use on NAFTA Sprinters, and thus Upscale couldn't purchase the Sportsvan kits any more.

With luck the situation will have improved, but I've so far not heard of Oberaigner, Iglhaut or Achleitner knowingly selling any of their parts into North America.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
From another sprinter van list:

"Sprinter USA has announced the pricing for the new 2015 Sprinter 4x4 options.

Option Package X29 High Range 4x4 - $6,500
Option Package X30 Low & High Range 4x4 - $6,800

The first orders will go to the factory this coming Monday, October 27th.

For more information please go to www.sprinterguy.com"

Seems like a no-brainer to go with the low & high range version - Not sure if this includes the additional cost for the v6 engine as that is the only choice for the 4x4 sprinters...

Too bad it took them so long to do this as I would prefer it on one of the 5 cylinder non-DEF versions of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles