Sprinter 4WD Conversion Idea, GMT-800 IFS.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Here is the coast side outlined. Its a bit faint at the root, but it looks deep?

1588214749486.png

Here is the drive side.

1588214864332.png

This Dana chart shows this pattern as Drive: Root Toe Contact, Coast: Root Heel Contact. It indicates that the shim needs to be thinner.

1588215191641.png

I could try reducing the backlash. Its at about 0.009" right now, spec is 0.006-.01" I will toss in a carrier shim just to see what it does, as that's pretty easy.

Attachments

• 1588215191641.png
    1588215191641.png
    101 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
And this ******** right here is why I always pay to have someone do rear-end work. Black magic, that is.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I am not sure if these gears are hobbed or milled. The tooth height does change a bit from heel to toe, so maybe they are milled? On milled gears the contact surface axis is different, so changing backlash will change the patterns depth. I dropped the backlash to 0.006" and the pattern was better, but not quite there. I dropped 10 thousands off the pinion shim and the drive side is much more centered, and not quite as close to the root. I am going to call that good I think.

Just finishing up tapping the hole for the locker line, and I can do a final fitup with the new bearings. Then I can prep for paint.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Finally got the gears in. Paint is going to have to wait till tomorrow. To much bending over already...

Looks like the sprinters parking brake cables are a pretty close match for the GM housings. Since GM has them exiting rearwards, I am not sure if the MB ones will be long enough though. Worst case, I should be able to crimp on an eyelet, and hook to the sprinters brake balancing mechanism.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Any hot springs nearby? By the time you turn the last nut, you'll be ready for that trip.

I don't know of any offhand, especially that would be open currently. I was thinking about a nice slow cruise to someplace sparsely populated. It would be enjoyable to be on the road again for a bit.

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Primed and painted. Still need to touch up a few spots, but no point in doing that until its installed. I am guaranteed to bang it up getting it positioned. I really like the U-Pol epoxy primer. Great opacity and coverage, fast recoat, good spraying and flow. Hopefully the corrosion inhibiting additives do their job.

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
you're right, I had to look at your pics again on something larger than a phone screen..

Yeah no worries, it was hard enough for me, and I had the axle upside down... Its hard to get a consistent pattern on used gears. A friend gave me a tip, to use the brakes to load the pinion torque to the 40 ft-lb range. Of course I don't have the brakes on currently... I loaded the ring gear with a plastic shim and it looks better overall. It's not off either end, and there is space at the root and upper land. If its noisy I will revisit down the road.

The driveshaft is now too long unfortunately. I have a few feelers out to see if anyone local will shorten this shaft for me. There is one place that's phone only I need to call, but I am not terribly hopeful. I don't have a spoolgun for my MIG, but as a last resort I can buy one and do the deed myself. I can get a very square cut on my chop saw, and there is enough room to mount my dial indicator up.

I was able to fit the sprinters brake cable into the existing hole. The cable was a bit short and had a clevis. I made a little clevis extension/adapter from some scrap stainless and a couple 1/4" bolts. I need to do the other side now.

Remaining:
splice the speed sensors
shorten driveshaft
make brake line adapters

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles