Sprinter 4WD Conversion Idea, GMT-800 IFS.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Got the TC installed. Removed the Aux fuel tank, lines, and transfer pump. There was a fair bit more fuel in both than I expected. So I need to drain a few more gallons before I can pull the fill tube off the main tank. Looking at the trans, it looks like it will balance on the back 6" of the pan. So the trans jack may work to get it up there.

Stevemo

If you have space get a high-lift pallet jack. They go from 3" of height to about 30". They make skinny pallet jacks and wide ones.

shade

Since you already have a transmission jack and only about an inch of clearance at the rocker panels for the transmission stack, why not put the Sprinter on stands to gain a few inches to allow easy clearance of the jack/transmission stack? I'd suggest driving it onto ramps, but that might be difficult. :)

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Making progress on the fuel tank. I have the mount locations worked out. 3 of the 4 brackets are made. Not sure if I will bolt or weld them on. If I can get a drill in there, I will probably go for some bolts.

Due to the way the tank is shaped, and the location of the brake lines, the tank needs spaced down an inch or so. Not ideal, but there's no other option.

I am still waiting on filler hose, but should have that next week. I am also regretting now doing an underbody wash after our last camping trip. Plenty of NC sandy dirt stuck in random places...

shade

I've used an oscillating sprinkler under my truck to wash away a lot of swarf. It takes a few hours, but it does a good enough job that there's far less left before using a pressure washer.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Its mostly just the thin crust on top the fuel tank. I was spoiled previously, as we hand scrubbed the van prior to Aus and NZ for customs reasons, so it was quite clean afterwards.

shade

Not much you can do about that except suck it up, put on a face shield, and go crazy with a pressure washer wand in places like that.

Or give the neighbor kid $10 to do it as you regale him with tales of your worldly travels. Heck, you might find one that'd do it for free.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
What I really need is a lift and 15ft shop. Not happening any time soon though.

Got 3 of 4 brackets attached. Need to lengthen fuel lines and harness, and get that 4th bracket mounted. I ended up moving it back ~12", as that lined up with the floor beams well. And yes, I know I need a bench vise. And a milling machine, lathe, break, english wheel, hydraulic press, vertical band saw.... But a clamp and a die grinder will get me there...

I got some measurements off the bell housing for the front end model. Its a bit bigger than I originally thought. I may end up dropping the diff down, or shifting it to the left to clear the trans.

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Less lasers sadly, but getting there. Just need to torque down the bell bolts, and attach the lines I haven't got my digital angle tool out, but I think the pack needs to drop 2-3 degrees to clear the body.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Got it mostly bolted up. Still need to make a trans support beam. I found the sprinters fill tube is different shaped and diameter. So I need to grab the bottom bit of the jeep tube, and just weld it on. It was a pain getting the TC to line up with the bolt holes, but its in.

My angle finder reports a 2 degree different between the Tcase and axle yokes. Should be easy enough to shim when I adjust the rear to match the front. Driveshaft is about 76". I am going to look through the OE catalogs. Its possible there is a factory truck shaft that is close enough. Fingers crossed...

Better to make your cuts on the other side of the tubing, where there's no seam to crack or deform.

Good catch. I noticed that shortly after I finished that mount. These are semi-temporary mounts. I have a custom over-sized fuel tank in the early design stages. So this will be coming down next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior