Sprinter "144 wheelbase for 4 people?

Carolina4x4

I need to go with the shorter Sprinter because of parking in my driveway. Anyone built one out with 4 sleeping bunks? Would like to see the configuration. I know there won't be much room left for anything else, kitchen, etc., but I'm prepared to compromise heavily.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Do you need to seat 4 people as well? What other requirements do you have? How big are the people? Height and rough weight can help. Shorter folks can sleep left/right to save space. Are all the people able to climb a bit and deal with no sitting space? Or is the need to sit upright in bed required?

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
What is the reason to compromise heavily vs driving a 170wb van?

I think people get too hung up on the size thinking it will be a monster to drive. The sprinter turns far sharper than a full sized truck or ford e series 4x4. It’s very easy to maneuver and parallel park etc.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
OP says parking in the driveway. I'm guessing this is an HOA situation, or similar issue with limited street parking. (e.g. my city has new rules requiring permits for >72 hours of parking of street parking for vehicles longer or taller than certain specs.)

Ramble4x4

It’s not inexpensive but with a low roof 144” you can can easily sleep four with a Sportsmobile penthouse top. Plenty of room for a kitchen etc...

rruff

Explorer
I know there won't be much room left for anything else, kitchen, etc., but I'm prepared to compromise heavily.

I think I'd have one bed at the normal height (convert into dinette?) and the other suspended from the ceiling on ropes/straps. They say the interior height is 80" on the high roof, so you should be able to lift it all the way to the top and still have headroom unless you are over 6'2".

I'd also get the gas motor (but I think not offered in 4x4). Lots of issues with the diesel emissions when they get over 100k miles.

EDIT: Not sure if you mean 4 separate beds though... that would be tougher, unless they are short. Bad thing about these vans is that they aren't wide enough to have a decent length bed going crosswise. Which is why a truck and box looks appealing...

T town

I’m looking to buy midsize, high roof Transit within the year. I too want to sleep four in a pinch. I’ve decided I can have the standard East West bed for one guy in the back which folds to reveal a dinette.
I would then have 2 stowable bunks stored hung from the ceiling or hang on the wall. One would hang from E track on the drivers side and straps to the roof on the other. The other would be below that one. It would also use the same length of E track and have foldable legs for support.
I’m shorter so would have another platform supported with 2 additional legs that would sit on the 2 front seats swiveled to face the rear.
No van yet but I do have 2 Sienna seats. They will have 2 long strips of L track each so they can have multiple positions. Given this, one can be released and be relocated to the back to be used as a step up to the bed and the other one pushed seat forward and shoved under the lowest bunk to get it somewhat out of the way.
Other times when no bunks deployed the seats can be removed from the L track and both put against the driver side wall as places to sit.
I realize this is hard to follow and I’m not even sure myself if it will all work until I get the van and start mocking things up.
To make more room I plan on a skinny, slider side counter/sink that will have a full length piano hinged flip up extension when needed.
Oh, and four bikes in the back which will need to exit if the dinette is to be used.
Mostly I envision 4 sleeping inside only during ski season. I’m sure, given good weather, at least one guy will want to sleep in his single man tent.
I am 5’9” but have to accommodate 2 friends who are 6’2” or 3”.

paddlenbike

Adventurer
My 144 is currently set up to sleep 3, but it's ready to accept the high-mount bed to sleep a total of 5. This is achieved with a sliding seat that converts to a bed (let's call this "bed 1"), as well as a low platform bed across the back (bed 2).
47189527282_c48d316266_c.jpg

The rear bed is currently for a 5-year old, but once she gets taller the cabinet door on the opposite end opens up and that's where the feet go to extend the width to 5'10". It looks like this (cushions not in place in the photo):
47626093522_2cc5bcc0d2_c.jpg

The addition of a platform bed (bed 3) is what would offer the additional sleeping. The other route to go is adding a penthouse style pop-top to a low roof van.

4-5 peeps in a 144 is certainly doable.

More info here: https://ourkaravan.com

Keyne

Adventurer
I haven seen pics of 144s with a raised platform bed with another bed underneath. I think it was on the Sprinter Source forum under the Safari Condo builds. Safari Condo website might have some pics. Store stuff where the bottom bed is during the day and then setup camp with bed for 4 at night.

Here is an example with family of four

I have a 144 full camper and it’s awesome for two people. You could sleep 4 but that’s a lot people in a small van when not sleeping, but assuming you spend most of your time outside anyway.

Sirjackson

Sportsmobile pop top 144. I have a family of four. Kids sleep up top and LOVE it. Downside to the pop top is it isn’t stealthy when/if you need to be. Never a problem for me since we don’t live out of it. I will say that i’m Not sure I’d like to share the upper space with a full sized Adult though.
85F1870A-9BEB-4F36-A295-19157B84DF50.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier