Springbar tents. Which one?

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
So, I will be buying a Springbar tent before May (gotta be ready for Cruise Moab). I will let it be known that I am dead set on a Springbar tent. Although all of the following are well made, I am not interested in input on Kodiak canvas tents, Oz tents, RTT's, or anything else (unless the Kodiak owners can relate to any of my following questions). I am buying American made and it will be a Springbar. I know they are more expensive than the other comparable alternatives and want to pay the premium for "made in the USA".
We already have a Tepui Autana that mostly lives on my wife's 4Runner during the summer. If I am going out for trips that involve moving every night I will transfer it to my truck and live out of it in complete comfort. I do love this tent, and I would buy a Tepui again.
I am looking at a Springbar for the times when I go to an off-road type event and "basecamp". I hate setting up and taking down everyday, and I want the ability to setup camp, leave my tent behind, and save my campsite. When I go to these events it will most likely be just me and the dog, and occasionally my wife will tag along.
I don't need a bunch of extra space (the wife and I motorcycle camped for years). With that in mind, I would go with Springbar's Compact 2 but I want to be able to stand up or "mostly" standup in my base camp setup. I would also like a bit of space to sit in a chair and read inside if the weather turns bad.
I have my choices narrowed down to two Springbar models. I am leaning towards the Outfitter 3. It fits my size needs perfectly but it does not have an awning option. Choice number two is the Campsite 3 because it is the smallest tent that comes with an awning and the option of the Portico awning with sidewalls.
My question for all Springbar (and Kodiak) owners is: "is the awning worthwhile if it is raining?" I like the idea of a covered outdoor space but the awning doesn't look like it is up to the task of hanging out under in the event of rain. Do you own a Springbar without the awning option and wish you would have bought one with an awning? I mostly camp in the cooler, high mountains of Colorado so shade is not an issue. Do I really need an awning on my tent other than the fact that they do ad a cool "on safari" kind of look?
Also; I know the Springbars are well loved, but I would love to hear what the owners of smaller Springbars have to say about the plusses and minuses of their tents.
Thanks for any info that could be pertinent to my questions. Just to throw a photo into the mix, here is a pic of my rig with the Tepui mounted on a November trip to the San Rafael Swell in Utah:
IMG_0213.jpg

kmlacroix

Explorer
I have this size tent. Good size for up to 4 adults (double bunked), or me and my 3 dogs. My tent is 29 years old and I am the 3rd owner.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Yes the awning has been worth it on my 10x10 Kodiak. Just like your intended use for your new tent we set the tent up and camp out of it for 1-3 weeks (longer if we could).

While on an elk & deer hunting trip a couple years ago we had a couple gushers and even having the sagging rain water filled awning overhead made it easier/better ingress/egress to the tent. Like all awnings without sides, though, in windy and rainy conditions the awning won't keep everything dry underneath.

Shade from the awning is a no brainer. We also carry a couple soft tarps we gator clip to one or more sides to add more shade and/or wind protection as needed.

But the awning isn't perfect. I've drawn up a little sewing project that would allow a custom fabbed awning to mount from the spreader bar. This would allow shading of at least 1/2 of the main tent and also raise the height of the awning while allowing better drain flow instead of the pool that collects with the OEM awning. I've added a telescoping pole in the middle of the awning that goes along way diverting rain water to the edges rather than collecting in the middle.

Good luck with your purchase.

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Thanks for the input so far. Spressomon, you make a good point about the awning making going in and out in the rain a little easier. Still not sure whether it is worth the extra cash or not.
Any one else want to convince me either way?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Another great thing about them is if you want features added later you can send it in for upgrades, like adding another window or awning, so if you find a good used one without the awning you can have it added later. If you have the time to come out and visit the store and factory you will be amazed at how great these tents really are.

Ed B

Adventurer
My suggestion? Road trip. You are only 430 miles from Salt Lake City and the Springbar show room. All the tents are set up on the second floor ready to inspect and also ask questions. I had numerous questions and made a weekend trip of it from Southern California. Ordered the 10 x 14 and the deluxe awning. I have a trailer so the packed size and weight are not an issue.

4runnerteq

Explorer
10x10 Kodiak with awning. We love ours. We have 2 cots that we set in "L" fashion along to walls. That leaves a bunch of room to move around inside. Has great storage inside with the mesh organizers also. Pretty easy set up other than driving in all the long heavy stakes

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Are Springbar's awning poles adjustable so that you can make the front of the awning lower than the tent side so that rain can run off in a storm?
Also does anyone with the Outfitter 3 model wish they would have upgrade to a more deluxe model from the get go or are you perfectly happy with your tent? The reason I am looking heavily at the Outfitter 3 is that the poles appear to pack down to half the length of the Campsite 3. With the short flatbed on my truck (5') length is an issue. springbars website claims that the Campsite 3 pole bag is like 62" which is 2" to long to fit in the bed of my truck. In all honesty I would prefer the Campsite 3 over the Outfitter 3 but the packed size is a determining factor.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Are Springbar's awning poles adjustable so that you can make the front of the awning lower than the tent side so that rain can run off in a storm?
Also does anyone with the Outfitter 3 model wish they would have upgrade to a more deluxe model from the get go or are you perfectly happy with your tent? The reason I am looking heavily at the Outfitter 3 is that the poles appear to pack down to half the length of the Campsite 3. With the short flatbed on my truck (5') length is an issue. springbars website claims that the Campsite 3 pole bag is like 62" which is 2" to long to fit in the bed of my truck. In all honesty I would prefer the Campsite 3 over the Outfitter 3 but the packed size is a determining factor.

You can adjust your side to side height but not front to back height, as the poles form a "T" on each end of the tent with the horizontal spring bars being in a fixed position sitting atop the adjustable vertical poles . Easiest solution would be to adjust your awning to avoid pooling up of water that may result if the flap/poled end is higher than the tent/sewn end. If you haven't already, go watch some of the storm/bad weather videos of how strong these tents are in bad weather, they are pretty awesome!

As for packing in the shorter bed, you can always run the poles from corner to corner, not ideal but you seem like you could make it work.

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
I have first hand experience with my brother's Kodiak tent so I know how this style of canvas tent works (which is why I want one). I also like the idea of Springbar's metal/rope stake out loops and the American made aspect over the Kodiak tents. I am getting a good deal of info from the replies I have received.
With that said: jeep-N-montero; are the two awning poles height adjustable so that I can keep the front of the awning at a lower height to allow rain to run away from the tent, as opposed to toward the tent. All of the pictures that I come across appear that the front of the awning is always higher, thus allowing a huge area for water to pool. If the poles are adjustable you could lower them to allow rain to run away from the tent. I know these tents have been around for 40 years and are tried and proven, but I am a bit anal about stuff and a small things like the possibility of pooling annoy me and would keep me up at night if it was raining hard.
Thanks to all for taking the time to reply.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
^ Ditto here and all things OCD and seemingly needing to re-engineer/re-design just about everything I buy :D.

I suspect the Springbar faces the same issue as the Kodiak relative to the outer edge of the awning being higher in relationship to the stitched/tent side: When the outer edge of the awning lowered to the point water drains away from the main portion of the tent it results in a very low under awning height. Which is why I am thinking about running a custom awning from the spreader bar ... to get more height.

Although the Springbar only has one door and not two like the Kodiak I think it would be useful, especially in hotter climes/use, to have dual awnings extending both directions from the spreader bar. This would serve as a "tropical roof panel" as well as additional shaded/rain protection over each door area/window. And since the tent side anchor for the awning(s) would be at spreader bar height it would allow better draining (IMO) options for the awning. I've got the project measured and drawn ... just need to head down to the fabric store for Sunbrella and get the Sailrite set up.

Last edited:

D110

Observer
I camp with the campsite and love it - one bonus about the awning that hasn't been mentioned is that you can get the screen enclosure for it which gives you a place to retreat if the mosquitos come out (also acts as an airlock to prevent getting that one pesky guy inside the tent that keeps you up at night....) I spend quite a bit of time sitting under the awning to escape the sun on the hotter summer trips. I find the campsite the perfect size since it gives enough room for two with their gear, but uses a smaller pole set that really cuts down on the weight.

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
According to Springbar the packed length of the poles for the Campsite 3 is quite a bit shorter than what they have listed on their website. The tent will fit in the back of my truck after all. I think that just made my decision.
Once I finish putting the clutch back in the old Fj40 and she's rolling happy down the road again I will become a new member of the Springbar family with a new Campsite 3.
Thanks to everyone that chimed in on my questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier