springbar tent choice

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I currently own one of their nylon springbar 2 man tents from the 70's and have two of the Coleman springbar tents that they built for Coleman back in the late 70's through about 1984. If you properly clean and store it each year there is no reason that you shouldn't get 20-30 years out of it, that is of course unless one of the kids doesn't happen to see the screen and comes running into the tent with much excitement and makes an entrance(pun intended). Of course you would then have the option of sending it in and having a complete new panel sewn in with a decent turn around time. Overall they are pretty stout, most of the scout troops out here use them because they can handle the abuse.

kbahus

Adventurer
We have a Coleman Olympic springbar from the 70's that we use as our go to tent. Works well and the 10x7 size fits a family of 3 just fine. It is starting to show it's age in a couple spots but I think it will last a few more years no problem. If Kirkham's did build this tent for Coleman than I can assure you one of their new tent's will last a very long time!

Attachments

• 20150725_172730.jpg
    20150725_172730.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 51

cparcell

Observer
Wow finding a spring bar around me would be near impossible. Thanks for the link, maybe I can convince someone to ship me one.

drm

keep looking! I lucked out and found a springbar family camper locally for $500 with all the options and 2 cabelas x-large cots. It was barely used.
It works great for our family of 4. Plenty of room and awesome fit and finish.
20151017_180249.jpg

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Interesting discussion, question for the Kodiak guys, if your tent needs repair, do they have a shop set up here in the states? I'm going through this same decision right now.

Thanks,
Ron

outdoornate65

Adventurer
I got a SB Traveler 5 last summer as a birthday present....love the tent.

It is a heavy beast to tote around but the quality is awesome and it's made in the USA.

I looked at the Kodiaks and liked the extra windows offered on some of their models but in the end, I went with the Springbar.

D110

Observer
Wife and I use the Campsite 3 and love it! Size is perfect for us and it's relatively compact and light compared to their larger tents...

spinyeel

Coleman Classic Springbar.

Just scored this little beauty. Can't wait to get it wet.

Attachments

• 2014-09-16 11.55.26.jpg
    2014-09-16 11.55.26.jpg
    563 KB · Views: 56

kbahus

Adventurer
Dang that Coleman tent is sweet! I wish we had those here in the states, I would be upgrading tomorrow. Does it have a model name?

BryanBowie

For me, it is not the "ripoff" issue that rubs me the wrong way, especially since Kodiaks are fine tents. Good ideas get copied; I'm a product designer, it comes with the territory.

It is more a sense of duty, put there by a measure of prosperity; buy American, not to prove your patriotism (no one should put up with someone challenging that!), but to improve the economy in which you, yourself, live and work. Now, if you truly cannot afford it, I say you get a pass. No question. But if you can afford it, well, I will pause, and consider. I can afford to "Buy American". I don't always.

My tent, from Durango, Colorado. David Ellis Canvas Tents. Had this one in Fresh Gale winds, no worries. Goes up easy and fast, and that huge veranda is awesome. The Springbar was my first choice, until I found this:

View attachment 342925

packed, behind the drivers seat. Thats the canvas white/tan kit bag, the whole tent; poles, stakes, ground cloth for the veranda

View attachment 342926

Interior

View attachment 342927

Sorry for the zombie thread...may I ask which model is shown in your photos? I'd really like to get one of David's tents and am having trouble deciding on the model. Looks like his inventory/models go through changes...on his YouTube page he has a "Split Torrent" model that looked perfect but when I went to the site it isn't offered. I'm usually solo or with one other person, but for me the ability to stand up and have solid living space for days is a priority. Not mention a view...which some of the smaller ones seem to have hindered by the angle of the front door. I chose to go ground vs rooftop because I need my roof space for surfboards and other items. I'm looking at it as a longterm investment, so it's more about the model now and yours looks nice. I can't find that veranda on the site either...was it an optional accessory? No rush, just thought I'd check.

jonnyquest

Adventurer
Sorry for the zombie thread...may I ask which model is shown in your photos? I'd really like to get one of David's tents and am having trouble deciding on the model. Looks like his inventory/models go through changes...on his YouTube page he has a "Split Torrent" model that looked perfect but when I went to the site it isn't offered. I'm usually solo or with one other person, but for me the ability to stand up and have solid living space for days is a priority. Not mention a view...which some of the smaller ones seem to have hindered by the angle of the front door. I chose to go ground vs rooftop because I need my roof space for surfboards and other items. I'm looking at it as a longterm investment, so it's more about the model now and yours looks nice. I can't find that veranda on the site either...was it an optional accessory? No rush, just thought I'd check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe this was a custom job. I remember seeing on the website his offer to do just about any type of modification. Give him a call and ask. Maybe post the result. I saw his tents at one of the Overland Expos a while back. He makes superb tents.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles