Spring spacers

syncro_G

Recently, I had an opportunity to try out Karl's new polyurethane spring spacers (thanks Karl!).
I had concerns that their flexibility would prevent the springs from seating well or they might deform under the stress. However, I was pleasantly surprised how firm the spacers are. Also, thinking about them a little more, I figured they'd be easier on the coils and would probably squeak less than the factory metal perches.

Also, I have been wanting an inch or two of lift but I have been otherwise happy with my springs (orange double stripe up front and yellow double stripe in rear). The spacers give the lift while letting me stick with the spring rates I like. My project time has been really limited lately so I've installed the rear spacers only so far - Hopefully I can get to the fronts this weekend.

Picture 1 (spacers1.jpg): Aside from the usual wrenches to free up lower shock, I used stands, floor jack and spring compressors.
The spring compressors aren't optimal for the G but they can work and are definitely better than nothing. I used straps when changing out bump stops previously and found them to be at least as tricky. And once under load, they were unadjustable.

Picture 2 (spacers4.jpg): Here's the right rear coil after much fiddling with the spring compressors. I only realized it after moving on to the left coil that this coil is upside down. Must have been from a PO and is now on my to do list as a future fix. The spring compressors don't really fit when the truck is sitting normally. I had to jack it up about 3/4 of the amount I wanted, then add the compressors, crank them down and then jack the truck up further. positioning was tricky so that the screw head remained accessible.

Picture 3 (spacers6.jpg): Left rear wheel was a little harder because of the stabilizer bar mount. Otherwise, it's about the same procedure.

I've had a day of mixed use - around town, on freeway, some uneven roadwork and a stretch of dirt road. So far, they feel great. Handling is about the same as before and it seemed like I was getting a little less suspension creak out of the back end.

Picture 5 (spacers7.jpg): Here's the truck with rear spacers on - it sits higher in the back and looks good. It will be a good match for a future set of 16" rims.

Picture 6 (spacers8.jpg): Day 2: I measured the spacers - they're sitting at about 30mm which is roughly what they were when in hand.
You can see a slight bulge of the walls but it's less than you might expect.
So it seems that they've probably compressed about 1-2mm under the load of the G-wagen.

-Christian

Attachments

• spacers1.jpg
    spacers1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 24
  • spacers2.jpg
    spacers2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 19
  • spacers3.jpg
    spacers3.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 21
  • spacers4.jpg