SPOT Handheld Satellite Messenger

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Sierra Expeditions is now carrying the SPOT Handheld Satellite Messenger

detail_515_SPOTFront.gif

We've all heard horror stories about being stranded sans a cellphone (or a signal), SPOT Inc. has introduced the simply-titled SPOT, which operates as a personal GPS-enabled tracking device to inform relatives, friends, and emergency personnel of your status. Among the features are a 911 button that automatically calls in help and gives them your exact location, an Ask for Help button that beams up friends / family, a Check In selection that informs contacts that you're a-okay, and a Track Progress option that sends your location to a Google Map that relatives can monitor. The unit itself is powered by a pair of AA cell batteries, weighs just seven-ounces, floats on water, and is rugged enough to handle most any encounter. Price wise, the SPOT will run you $149.99 along with a $99 "service fee," but monthly and multi-year options will purportedly be available soon.

oldcj5guy

Adventurer
I'm in love with the whole idea of this. I'll be ordering one as soon as I recover from the 3 new die sets for the bender.

After watching the news this winter I think this could be a great investment for anyone headed to the backcountry with their family. Even though the price is reasonable, some people might look into buying it as a group and passing it around as needed.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Fees associated with the SPOT

Again it is a great product, but there are also monthly fees that are associated with the technology involved to make this work. I would like to make sure that prior to purchasing a SPOT you all are aware of the such fees.

There is one required fee of $99.99 for a year of service.
  • ALERT 9-1-1: Dispatch emergency responders to your exact location. Unlimited usage included.
  • CHECK IN: Let contacts know where you are and that you’re okay. Unlimited usage included.
  • ASK FOR HELP: Request help from friends and family at your exact location. Unlimited usage included.

There are also two upgrades available for the plan:
  • TRACK PROGRESS ($49.99 per year):
    Send and save your location and allow contacts to track your progress using Google Maps
  • GEOS Search & Rescue Benefit:$7.95/yr USD (if purchased at initial activation. $150.00 USD afterwards):provides up to $100,000 USD of additional search and rescue resources, including helicopter extraction around the world and reimbursement benefits – underwritten by Lloyd’s of London – for any emergency service expenses incurred. For more information, including terms and conditions, visit http://www.geosalliance.com/sar

So that could be upto $157.93 per year in fees that may easily be overlooked. IMO it is well worth it for the peace of mind for you and the ones left at home. The SAR benefit is worth every penny IMO.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I picked one of these up in December, and love it....plus, my wife loves it...being able to know that I'm doin' ok when out of cell range....

Well worth the small expense...plus, the additional rescue insurance runs about $250/year otherwise!

-H-

...okay, now a downside...I have a buddy who works on an air evac. helicopter on my notify list....last time I was solo camping, I ended up with a helicopter hovering over my tent at 3am.....these guys get bored easily sometimes....:camping:

blupaddler

Conspirator
Hltoppr said:
...okay, now a downside...I have a buddy who works on an air evac. helicopter on my notify list....last time I was solo camping, I ended up with a helicopter hovering over my tent at 3am.....these guys get bored easily sometimes....:camping:

LOL!!! I could just picture them planning the entire "rescue."
However on a side note, did you send an, o.k. signal. Or how did he know where you were?

More questions...
The SPOT SAR plan works world-wide? Is your signal sent to an operator who then contacts local authorities?
When you send an o.k. signal, does it tell your location as well?
Is/are the mapping feature compatible with Mac? (I assume it would be since Google maps are also Mac, but you know what happens when you "assume")

Finally, just to confirm...
Costs per year would range from:
$100 minimum
$158 maximum

Oh, and Wil...
If I haven't said so latey...

YOU ROCK!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I love my Spot!
My wife loves my Spot!
She can track my travels and I don't have to try to call anytime I get to a mountain peak and might have cell service or ham radio patch...I send ok messages any time I am running late..and that is often since I am one of those hang out at the end of the trail and chat types...
I really like that instead of a long walk & tow charge I can hit the HELP button and 10 of my buddies will come laugh at me in the desert while getting me moving again.
And of coure if I ever need the 911 that will have made the cost trival.
I went for the entire package and figure for the cost of a couple of lunches a month I am well covered.

I am writting a review of the Spot device for Disabled Explorers and it will go to the top of the list of stuff folks should buy before hitting the dirt...nice that I now have a great place to send them to buy it also!

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
The great thing about the SPOT is that there are three levels of notification, a "spot check" that all's OK, a "Non-Emergency Distress" level that will help folks locate you when you've, say, broken down, and a "Emergency" level that starts the SARSAT system, and send the cavalry.

I have my wife and my good friend (air medic) on the OK spot check list, so he got my OK notification and just wanted to haze me with a low hover in the middle of the night.

I'll change my Non-Emergency notifications depending upon where I'm going...

I have my friend and our local SAR Coordinator on my Emergency list....might as well just go straight to the rescue source.....

As for notifications, the general checks go through satellites, so it'll work anywhere in the world. Once an emergency beacon is sent, it will be processed through the SARSAT system, where the coordinates will be sent to the agency where they are located.

For example, if the beacon was in Flagstaff, Arizona, our Arizona State SAR coordinator in Phoenix would be notified, then they would notify the local Coconino County Sheriff's department, who would then begin the SAR.

-H-

akphotobob

Observer
I've been planning to get one of these but I have a question first. Satellite requires a good view of the sky. For example my sirius radio has lost contact driving the Blue Ridge Prkwy because of the heavy trees overhead and my Garmin eTrex has failed to log on because I was in a canyon. My understanding that there are newer chipsets out that have far better reception and can even work indoors.

So my question is, how good is the chipset in the Spot? Am I likely to get reception in hard-to-recieve places? Ultimately, it doesn't really matter, when the ******t hits the fan you want your best possible chance for help, and no doubt that is satellite. And it seems that the Spot system offers by far the best bang-for-your-buck in satellite rescue. Has anyone compared Spot to the new Personal Emergency Locator Beacons?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior