SPOT Announces New Device: spotX (two-way with a keyboard!)

carbon60

Explorer
I purchased the SpotX tracker recently for my daughters to use while hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. They are on the trail right now and the tracker is set to send a position once an hour. We are lucky if there is 1 or 2 tracking points a day. Texting seems to work, although it had a few problems there. Overall I would say as a tracker, it fails. For texts from the back country it seems to be ok. If needed, I hope the SOS button is going to work. On the other hand I had the Spot gen3 last year. It tracked ok on a 50 mile Mt Whitney hike. It even tracked on a flight in the Cessna from CA to ID. Very disappointed in the SpotX, will probably return it. The required year long subscription will be a loss.

I assume that performance wasn't simply caused by the position of the device?

The tracking of my InReach is rock solid.

Coachgeo

Explorer
I purchased the SpotX tracker recently for my daughters to use while hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. They are on the trail right now and the tracker is set to send a position once an hour. We are lucky if there is 1 or 2 tracking points a day. Texting seems to work, although it had a few problems there. Overall I would say as a tracker, it fails. ...

I assume that performance wasn't simply caused by the position of the device?...
Good point. Chimingin, when you can.. ask here where she has/had the unit? Can't really determine anything without knowing that.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I've never bothered with tracking on my InReach, I just use it as a "keep alive" signal to people back home so they know I'm still safe and everything is normal.

I may have to up my subscription during the busy vacation seasons to see how well it does tracking. I always keep it in my day pack, and I can get signals sent and received from within my home (just wood and drywall inbetween, but still).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste