Sportsmobile?

GlennA

Adventurer
My wife found a Mercedes Sprinter SWB (118" WB). She thinks it is a Sportsmobile. How can I be sure. It's in good condition, 130k miles, twin beds, shower, porta potti, small sink, 110 hot water heater, 110 fridge. 15 (?) gal fresh water tank, 20 (?) gal grey water tank. Sink drains to 5 gal jug. House battery under the passenger seat.

86scotty

Cynic
Tag in the door, Sportsmobile stickers/emblems here and there, Sportsmobile binder/manual in it somewhere if you are lucky. If it is a pop top, Sportsmobiles have a very specific top that doesn't resemble any others. Posting a pic would help. Also, depending on it's age, SMB uses cabinetry and appliances which can be a dead giveaway to those of us who know them. Post a pic or link.

If you are uncomfortable posting a pic or link publicly send me a PM.

marret

Doesn’t look like a Sportsmobile to me. Could be homebuilt, “local” builder, etc. The construction, unfinished edges in the rear, 110 hotwater and fridge, etc. make me think so.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Agreed. Nothing about that says Sportsmobile. The hem on the curtains says "homebuilt", or at least home-improved from some other builder.

I'm also not sure Sportsmobile ever did work on T1N versions of the Sprinters...

marret

Agree as well with the build comments.

I have seen a T1N Sportsmobile. Looked at one once before I bought my GMC. It was definitely a Sportsmobile.

86scotty

Cynic
Agreed with above. Doesn't look like a Sportsmobile brand conversion. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Sportsmobiles aren't the best or the worst.

The T1N is a great van with some known problems. Low miles (130k) is good news. I would look closely for rust, not the frame so much as body rust. These were notorious for it. Check the sheet metal seams at the bottom of the doors, investigate the rocker panels (lower half of van) very carefully. Which engine? I only know of the 5 cylinder turbo diesel in T1N's, which is a phenomenal engine, but there may've been a gasoline model. Easy to find that out.

Are you willing to share the asking price?

GlennA

Adventurer
The asking was 25K. I can't determine who built it, but it's way too good to be a major manufacturer. It's in our driveway now. Let the adventure begin.

New tires all around . Good service records.

I've got 320w of solar panels to add plus a few other mods before we take off on a six week adventure in late November.

The house battery is under the passenger seat. It's a group 27 and prevents the use of a swivel seat base. Replacing the group 27 FLA with a group 31 AGM.

All of the interior lights need to be replaced with LED.

I'm sure I'll find more things to repair/ replace.

Thanks to all that responded

GlennA

Adventurer
While visiting my sister outside of Austin, I stopped in at Sportsmobile. Ours is definitely not a Sportsmobile. The good folks at Sportsmobile came out and viewed it. They have some very impressive units for sale.

dbhost

That looks like a homebrew. Unfinished edges on the cabinetry, the use of a portable AC instead of Sportsmobiles StarCool system, Residential style light duty curtain rods with what honestly appear to be altered Walmart curtains (NOT a bad thing mind you, just not right for a Sportsmobile). All of these things tell me not a Sportsmobile. From the pics you posted though, it looks like it was fairly well done.

FWIW, there are things about true Sportsmobiles I seriously dislike and I love Sportsmobiles. They do / have been using MDF in their cabinet construction like most other RV manufacturers, although the early ones didn't, The fresh water tank on older models, no idea if the new ones are like this, requires a city water connection to fill the tank, or a funnel in a VERY ackward position... There is no fresh water gravity fill port. I have some repairs I need to do to the MDF cabinetry on mine, like the countertops, and an access panel, and I fully intend to replace with higher quality materials. Maybe if I feel adventurous enough one day, I might just rebuild the cabinets with real wood instead. That would make the build more durable and lighter weight...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles