Sportsmobile vs. XP Camper -- Why the XP Camper Won For Us

forty2

Adventurer
Part of an old boy network out not, the deletion of posts in a thread where they are clearly of relevance sour me more on XP and ExPo than the deleted posts ever did. The impression of impropriety is now out there and there it shall likely remain until some reasonable explanation can be given.

adam88

Explorer
The silence is deafening. I have been interested in an XP camper for a while, especially the upcoming V3, so I am naturally concerned about any issues I hear. The deletion of the posts has further PEAKED my interest since I am guessing someone would have had to report them/try and cover up. As an amateur journalist this stuff always makes me interested in the truth.

So... I talked to this individual via PM and he told me the issues he had in detail. It does not sound like lies, this person definitely owned an XP camper. A lot of the complaints sounds like things which may have been fixed with newer XP models. I think the problem with this person is they are not overly technically inclined/aren't in the internet a lot, unlike the Taco thread where major evidence was posted. What is the main concern for me is how they were handled. Apparently things like fiberglass cracks were blamed on him (for "abusing" the camper) and he had to file claims with his insurance company instead of getting it covered under warranty. I'd like to know the issues behind that. He claims to have racked up $10,000 in insurance claims fixing the XP camper in 6 months (causing his insurance rates to go up). I am sure he has proof of this?? Since this is apparently not allowed to be posted here if anyone is interested in what he said, PM me and I will send you the letter he wrote.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
interesting.

Regardless, IMO posts should never be allowed to be deleted.

Especially with regards to a business, but for so many more reasons...

Deletion without any kind of reasoning certainly is one nasty way to start the rumor mill.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
To everyone,

This situation has just been brought up to me and we are looking into this. XPCamper is not an official sponsor of the forum.

I would appreciate if conclusions are not drawn too quickly (as you all know there is always two sides to a story, especially when insurance and lawyers are involved...).

Thank you very much.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
The silence is deafening. I have been interested in an XP camper for a while, especially the upcoming V3, so I am naturally concerned about any issues I hear. The deletion of the posts has further PEAKED my interest since I am guessing someone would have had to report them/try and cover up. As an amateur journalist this stuff always makes me interested in the truth.

So... I talked to this individual via PM and he told me the issues he had in detail. It does not sound like lies, this person definitely owned an XP camper. A lot of the complaints sounds like things which may have been fixed with newer XP models. I think the problem with this person is they are not overly technically inclined/aren't in the internet a lot, unlike the Taco thread where major evidence was posted. What is the main concern for me is how they were handled. Apparently things like fiberglass cracks were blamed on him (for "abusing" the camper) and he had to file claims with his insurance company instead of getting it covered under warranty. I'd like to know the issues behind that. He claims to have racked up $10,000 in insurance claims fixing the XP camper in 6 months (causing his insurance rates to go up). I am sure he has proof of this?? Since this is apparently not allowed to be posted here if anyone is interested in what he said, PM me and I will send you the letter he wrote.

I only know of 1 other XP Camper that unfortunately had some issues, and that member on ExPo is HIGHLY regarded. IIRC Marc bought it back from this member, although I'm not sure whatever happened to it.
I think all of us as overlanding enthusiasts appreciate seeing businesses consistently improve and rectify any issues, as it only makes our passion that much more enjoyable(ie vs the opposite, which would be having only crappy choices for overlanding gear).

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Is XP some other type of sponsor? I'm looking forward to your response regarding the deleted posts. Brian

Brian,
The only reference to an XP Campers "sponsor" I've seen in this thread has been;

"OutbacKamper
Supporting Sponsor

XPCampers International"

I don't remember seeing Marc from XP Campers post, but I could be wrong.

PS--thanks for the update Christian!

Last edited:

calstar

Observer
Brian,
The only reference to XP Campers I've seen in this thread has been;....

I wasn't asking whether XP was referenced in this thread, I was asking if XP is some type of EXPO sponsor other than an "official sponsor" as stated by Christian. BTW XPs, Sportsmobile, etc are so far out of my price range its ridiculous, more power to those that can afford one of these, but as often stated here spending a lot off $$$ doesn't mean you'll have more fun!

Brian

Super Doody

Explorer

For the sake of providing more information, here is another thread on quality issues:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/9690-transition-to-xp/page-7

Every manufacture has issues. Its how the manufacture resolves the issue with the owner (if it is indeed an quality issue and not an abuse issue).

Darwin

Explorer
That is really funny, wonder why he cancelled the order, and if he got his deposit back.

Brian
I think he was just dreaming, became infatuated with the idea of the 'exp' lifestyle, lots of talk about winches, bumpers, 37 inch tires, and dont' forget the snorkle, realized at some point when reality hit that it was probably not for him and got out with only having to sell the 40K Dodge Ram that was bought and never made the purchase of an XP.

adam88

Explorer
I think he was just dreaming, became infatuated with the idea of the 'exp' lifestyle, lots of talk about winches, bumpers, 37 inch tires, and dont' forget the snorkle, realized at some point when reality hit that it was probably not for him and got out with only having to sell the 40K Dodge Ram that was bought and never made the purchase of an XP.

I agree. Nothing wrong with dreaming though. When I see guys like Daniel, I immediately spot the ADD/OCD, because I have it too. When you have that type of personality, you hyper focus on everything to extremes. You absorb yourself, immerse yourself, in everything you are passionate about. So when Daniel became interested in "getting away", he didn't go buy a Lance Camper and call it a day... no... he researched for months on end what the best option was, and probably spent every waking hour discussing every little detail. Heck, I remember he built a lego model of some insane motorcycle ramp. He even helped Marc launch forums and probably gave him marketing advice, etc. Absorbed... immersed... passionate. But unfortunately, we folks with these personality traits also suffer from impatience and we get bored easy. The phrase "The hunt is sweeter than the kill" couldn't apply more.

drodio

Entrepreneur & Lifehacker
I still have my deposit with Marc! And still a huge fan. I am immersed in the startup world and haven't pulled the trigger on ordering one because I'm pulling insane work days and wouldn't have time to enjoy it (yet).

For what it's worth I also agree that posts should never be deleted. Marc builds a quality product and anyone who disagrees should just go visit his shop.

bill harr

Adventurer

Thank you for the PM with the posters comments. Without going into his problems, his reply rambled and did not have specifics. If his post would have been left up it would have been discredited by this forum. If like My Taco he gave specifics and had photos it might have been different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier