Sportsmobile Fridge Options

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
Can I get some comments from Sportsmobile owners with the RB50 layout on secondary Fridge options. What size do you use? Where do you store/mount?

thx

Chris

Adventurer
I have the standard frig that came with the RB50 and have since added an Engles 45.

I stuck it in the back, on the right hand side. As soon as I can I'll take some pics and post them. I made up a simple plat form as a base with some tie down eyelets. This way I didn't mess with the existing platform in case we want to use it along with the cushion that makes into a bed. This was all predicated on the fact there just two of us and we always use the upper bunk to sleep. Won't work if you need the down stairs bed space.

It's been a very good choice. We did three weeks this summer and had food left over, cold food that is. :victory:

Pics to follow. :)

EMrider

Explorer
I've got the norcold that comes standard in the EB-51 configuration. For 3+ years the fridge has performed well and been reliable.

But if I were starting over I'd get the larger fridge option. Lack of fridge space is always an issue on camping trips.

A portable engel 45 or similar unit would be a great option.

R

Saline

Adventurer
We have the larger Norcold fridge. You can put a lot of stuff in there! I pulled the fridge and added insulation because A: It seemed to cycle too often and B: It was noisey.
It's not bad now but if it goes tits up I will probably not replace it with a Norcold.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Hey James,
I went for a National Luna weekender 50L for a couple of reasons...
1) Even I have trouble bending over to get stuff out of a standard side opening rv style fridge..
2) I have read complaints on the sportsmobileforum.com about noise on the Norcold
3) energy ****** is much better on a top opening fridge
4) It looks much cooler :)

Now something to be aware of that we learned. ARB donated one of their new fridges to the project and the idea was to build a low flat cabinet to set the fridge on which would make the top counter hgt and give more surface when closed. However the walls of the van are curved and we couldn't open the fridge.
So we had to look around for a fridge where the top lid can open short ways instead of long ways (I will try to add some pics to this to explain). I had a choice of changing the hinges on a Engel, going with the cheap Compact Applaince fridge people are liking here or call up Paul May with Equipt and get the best....:)
Paul was super cool and National Luna is donating a Stainless steel fridge (if I was buying I would have gone for the split model for a fridge & freezer space).

Even if I didn't need a top loading fridge for Disabled Explorers I would go this route myself just since I hate bending over.

I have gone through a ton a mental strain working on our floorplan and after 2 visits to the factory I think we have it nailed..feel free to email, pm or post up all the questions you have. Working with SMB West has been very cool, they really dig that the van will be used by the disabled but then again I see how hard they work on every van so I think you will be pleased.

Trail Monkey

Lance

did you get any photos at the factory of how that setup for your fridge will look, or is is just decided and they still have to build it out?

i really like the idea..

thx

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Yeah I have pics and will have them up on the DE website and build thread here tonight...just had to put in my hours at work this week so a bit behind.

layoutEB70.jpg

The area marked custom cabinet is where the fridge will be...
One thing that would be cool if we didn't have the wheelchair lift just inside the side doors is to mount a fridge slide which would bring the fridge right to the door and easy to get stuff out of from outside. Then again I don't think it would be a big deal no matter what.

With your RB50 layout you could have the custom cabinet go behind the drivers seat and that would give you storage under the fridge and access by the driver or passenger while driving.
2ndfresnovisit-1.jpg

You can see in the pic above that the curve of the van wall means you have to use a fridge opens sideways vs lengthways, that means either customizing an Engel (there is a thread on ih8mud), one of the cheap chinese fridges talked about here or the National Luna.
A couple of cool things about the NL fridge:
1) Battery protection built into it with a changeable setting you can see from the front.
2) Hella plug that is super positive locking
3) Fast freeze mode
4) Shinny outside and even more shinny inside
5) Insulated transit bag to help the fridge be even more efficent
6) If I remember right the NL fridge won the Overland Journal test as the best fridge

I really think once people start seeing how a top opening off road fridge in action that SMB West will be getting a lot more request.

Last edited:

Trail Monkey

im totally on board with a top opening fridge. not sure why it hasnt been perfected in the layout in the past. you disabled folks are real innovators..:sombrero: that shiny NL will look sick finished off in the truck.. i cant wait to work this out on my truck..:smiley_drive:

trailsurfer

Explorer
James,

One thing to consider. The normal sized Norcold has worked great for 2-3 day trips. And for longer trips I have the Engel 45 that I keep in the back while traveling and then can move outside to the side or back of the Sportsmobile for easy access. Also, when using both one can be the freezer and one can be the fridge. You can put either in the Freezer setting and you are good to go.

Trail Monkey

James,

One thing to consider. The normal sized Norcold has worked great for 2-3 day trips. And for longer trips I have the Engel 45 that I keep in the back while traveling and then can move outside to the side or back of the Sportsmobile for easy access. Also, when using both one can be the freezer and one can be the fridge. You can put either in the Freezer setting and you are good to go.

M

you have gobs of space with that EB, im afraid of using up the little i have left in the rear...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke