Sportsman Fiberglass Pop-up - New Project

Braidz

Long time lurker, first time poster. Very excited about my new project, a big upgrade from my camper shell. I picked up this little gem from kijiji last fall, finally getting around to fixing it up and getting it all ready to use. Comes in at about 1200lb currently. I especially like that it is fully usable in the "down" position, and the fridge and furnace actually work!

The previous owner had it on an S10 (pictured) with two anchor points through to the frame at the front. I will be mounting on a 2013 half ton GMC Sierra with a 6'7 box. Orignal plan was to mount on the work truck but that one bit the dust so now I'll be adding to the "town" truck. That makes me a wwaaay more hesitant in terms of drilling holes and the like. I'm also looking at needing a ~4" rise to clear the bed rails.

It needs a bit of work inside, but for now just a couple of questions to get me started:
1) Tie downs: Any one have experience with these bed-side tie downs through mountians and forest service roads?
Brophy HSSF Clamp-on camper tie downs

2) Camper Rise: With the 4" needed to clear the bed, I will have about an 8" gap above the cab. Can i expect to catch alot of extra wind? And if I make the gap even more ( say >14", ) will that be really unstable without some type of faring? I own a 10" rat-pack- type plywood drawer toolbox set and I'm thinking the "get-me-out-now" solution may be to just put the camper on top of it. That thing is pretty heavy on it's own so it will have me pushing against the truck cargo weight limit to have both.

Shout out: Special thanks to user mikes350 for your photos of a simlar unit and answering my questions last fall when i was trying to decide to buy it. The rebuild post was pretty much the only useful info on the web I could find on these campers!

IMG_2724.jpg IMG_2730.PNG
IMG_2726.PNGIMG_2727.PNG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles