sPOD vs OEM AUX switches

UglyViking

Hey all, looking for some feedback here before I pull the trigger one way or another.

I'm looking to add some additional lighting and such to my 19 ram 2500. Pretty standard setup, off road lights/light bar up front, a-pillar ditch lights, rear backup lights, prob an air compressor and maybe a train horn (just for fun). I'm debating between the OEM AUX buttons (which is far more integrated and half the price) vs the sPOD, which gives me 2 extra buttons and is clearly aftermarket.

I'm not sure if I can make one of the OEM AUX buttons function as a switch, so I could have functionally 2 banks of lights (8 switches total) but I assume with how connected to the BCM these trucks are it's prob a no. I say that as it seems the only difference between the two options is the number of switches?

Is there any reason I should spend 2x on the sPOD vs going with the factory OEM AUX bank?

EDIT: My primary question here is, should I go with OEM AUV buttons or aftermarket and why? Specific components, layout of components, etc. are appreciated but I'm mainly focused on the direction I should go with pros/cons.

Last edited:

WOODY2

Adventurer
Hey all, looking for some feedback here before I pull the trigger one way or another.

I'm looking to add some additional lighting and such to my 19 ram 2500. Pretty standard setup, off road lights/light bar up front, a-pillar ditch lights, rear backup lights, prob an air compressor and maybe a train horn (just for fun). I'm debating between the OEM AUX buttons (which is far more integrated and half the price) vs the sPOD, which gives me 2 extra buttons and is clearly aftermarket.

I'm not sure if I can make one of the OEM AUX buttons function as a switch, so I could have functionally 2 banks of lights (8 switches total) but I assume with how connected to the BCM these trucks are it's prob a no. I say that as it seems the only difference between the two options is the number of switches?

Is there any reason I should spend 2x on the sPOD vs going with the factory OEM AUX bank?
FWIW on my rigs I choose to keep all add-on mods on a totally separate circuit system.

javajoe79

Fabricator
The SPOD stuff doesn’t do anything for me. The screen is funky and inaccurate in regards to where you have to touch vs where you think you should. I would just get a small PDM and use your aux switches to trigger it.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Use aux switches, then get an Auxbeam or Fenix 4200 switch panel from Amazon. The sPod has always been over priced and has always been under featured.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

UglyViking

FWIW on my rigs I choose to keep all add-on mods on a totally separate circuit system.
I'm a bit of a noobie here so forgive me with the stupid follow up. My assumption here is that you mean that I should have a separate dedicated system for battery fuse block and all? My understanding is that since my truck is a diesel I can use the separate fuse block it came with, then wire it to the secondary battery and the truck will protect itself so I never am left stuck.

The SPOD stuff doesn’t do anything for me. The screen is funky and inaccurate in regards to where you have to touch vs where you think you should. I would just get a small PDM and use your aux switches to trigger it.
The switch pros are the other option I was considering, and I think you're point is right, so I'd probably go them. My larger point here was basically factory or aftermarket light controller and why?

Use aux switches, then get an Auxbeam or Fenix 4200 switch panel from Amazon. The sPod has always been over priced and has always been under featured.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing. The auxbeam seems to be pretty similar in design and overall concept. My main question is should I go factory or aftermarket and why?

I got a kit from 4thgenramelectronics.com that included an under hood fuse box, harness and OEM upfitter switch panel. Not cheap but doesn't look or feel "cheap" either :)

Despite using OE switch panel and connector types it is fully self contained and wires into itself (and the battery) not the data bus.
I've got a 5th gen so the offering they have won't work. That said, it looks like basically the same setup as OEM. I was planning a similar setup.

CFMGarage

I have the OEM Aux switches in my '18 Ram. They are great. It makes the first 5 things easy. You might run out of switches pretty quick.

So my advice would be, if your truck didn't come factory with the Aux switches, then look into a more scalable system and plan out locations for switches. I'm not saying go with SPOD, I have no experience with that.

roving1

The price of sPOD vs the actual value and function has, and will always, remain a total mystery to me.

Physical switches are always easier to use with 100% accurate tactile feedback in a bouncing truck compared to a touchscreen.

javajoe79

Fabricator
If your extra fuse block has the needed capacity then I’d definitely use that. Powering it off of your secondary battery would make sense too.

UglyViking

Appreciate the feedback all. I think I'm gonna lean toward switch pros as it will give me plenty of room for growth and doesn't look bad in terms of overall look and layout. Plus from the research I've done it's dead simple to install and wire, which is great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94