Splicing Synthetic Winch Rope

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
A direct bury will cover just about everything to get you out of the woods should a synthetic line break.

-Alex

opie

Explorer
Besides straight bury of an eye and end to end splicing are there any other good ones everyone should master that will cover most field repair needs?

No, those are the basics. If you ruin or lose your thimble, you can use a soft eye with a shackle or hook. Rope on rope, however is not advisable.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I wanted to bring this thread back with thoughts on whipping. I have seen many videos on whipping were you just double the twine and just wrap over itself and then put the working end through the loop and pulling it tight. However, I have seen a finished product where the twine was wrapped 8-12 times but then there were double wraps of twine going perpendicular to those wraps going through the rope. If anyone knows what this is called or has a video, please post it up.

I wanted to bring this thread back with thoughts on whipping. I have seen many videos on whipping were you just double the twine and just wrap over itself and then put the working end through the loop and pulling it tight. However, I have seen a finished product where the twine was wrapped 8-12 times but then there were double wraps of twine going perpendicular to those wraps going through the rope. If anyone knows what this is called or has a video, please post it up.

Do you mean like this? Its called the sailmakers whip and is fairly easy you just need to keep everything neat and tidy.

sailmakers-whip.jpg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Bringing a thread up from the depths. Tripped across it researching this very question...
Why choose a Brummel Lock on a thimble vs. the Stitch Lock splice?
To which sensible advice was given.
With a lock brummel vs a direct bury, you cannot pull the brummel apart without taking the entire line through itself. So manufacturers use this so a customer doesn't accidentally undo the splice, we stitch our direct buries to try to keep them together.
I used to use a locked brummel because it is more secure in the hands of multiple users.
But I wondered about this...
opie said:
Samson only shows the locked brummel for a Whoopie Sling and some speculate that it is because the locked brummel derates the line more than the 0-10% that is suggested to a straight bury.
So does anyone have a feeling as to whether it's preferred for a novice to use a Brummel when splicing a new eye over a Sampson style bury with lock stitching? By this I mean is the reduction in strength using a Brummel still overall safer than creep that might result from unknown stitching? Maybe the stitching workmanship does not have to be master rigger quality to be completely effective and I'm just over thinking this.

Which also led into this question...
I wanted to bring this thread back with thoughts on whipping.
Does whipping add or reduce strength or reliability? It seems to me that it's primary benefit is to reduce movement and abrasion at the thimble. But does it maybe help prevent the bury from sliding without a load? It seems with Dyneema that it would be essentially impossible to whip tight enough to keep the rope from slipping on itself.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
DaveInDenver,

I don't have an answer for you on the prevention of sliding from a Whip Stitch, but I'm glad you asked the question and will be very interested in the everyone's thoughts.

I'm afraid the only way we will ever know for sure, is if someone were to test breaking strength on the exact same rope with various buries.

Howard70

Adventurer
One account that might cause pause in using the Brummel lock. Apparently the Brummel lock might have reduced the overall strength of the splice and allowed the eye to open. The conclusion was that lock stitching with a long bury is more secure. Those boats have incredible loads on the rigging with people close to stuff that moves if a line fails - not unlike winching a large overland truck, although we can get further out of the way.

Howard

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I ended up using a long bury with a lock stitch and whipping (not locking) just as shown in the Sampson manual. Did not do a Brummel. This was on my winch line, which needed a replacement thimble since mine had started to collapse.

I may try the locking whip like you did @Beowulf on my extension, which is getting new thimbles, too. That's nice work!

Last edited:

CO_Hunter

Keeping this thread alive.

Looks like I am jumping onto the synthetic game as well.

Is this the S brummel mentioned a while back? If not, any thoughts on this method?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles