Spindle gusset install on 1st gen Tundra advice?

Flyer69

Observer
Well, my Camburg UCA's finally arrived after being backordered, and I have all the new parts to completely rebuild my front suspension. I'll be replacing the LCA's with new Moog ones, rather than fight with the pressed-in bushings. I also have new Moog lower ball joints and some tie rod ends just in case. I'll be home from work next Weds and plan to get after it. I'll be taking lots of pictures and sharing my work as well.

I also picked up a pair of Total Chaos spindle gussets. At around 40 bucks, I thought "why not?". So... my question is this: Will I need to remove (press out) the hub/bearing assembly from the spindle, and if so, how much of a pain is that? If so, I'll probably just opt to install new wheel bearings. I have no issues with the factory wheel bearings, but since it will be all apart and the truck has 168k on it, I'm thinking I might as well. Any recommendations on which wheel bearings to get? I see there are lots out there to choose from.

Thanks for the help.

smokeysevin

Observer
I have the gussets sitting on my shelf right now waiting for a free evening (if such a thing exists) so I can't comment too much on their install but I can comment on welding the ball joint adapters into the spindle.

On my 01 I ran the camburg arms for a few years and was backing out of the driveway one morning and heard a loud pop. I had cracked the spindle at that thin spot where the ball joint lives. After counting my blessings I opted to weld the adapters in for the second go round.

I cleaned all the dust, crap, grease, and paint off the spindle, and pressed the adapters in. Camburg's adapters use a single piece kit rather than the total chaos style which is just and adapter and uses a standard misalignment spacer. When welding the camburg adapters you need to make sure you do not get any spatter on the rounded surface that contacts the uniball.

Use a propane torch or heat source of your flavor to heat the spindle up prior to welding then lay some sweet sweet dimes. Weld both sides cause' you aren't a hack are you? Once the weld is completed, bring the torch back and allow to slowly cool to prevent cracking.

Completely irrelevant but I thought I would share.

Sean

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Pretty sure they can be installed without taking the bearings out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zidaro

Explorer
Don't know anything about the camburg setup.
But I do have, and did install, the tc gussets on my 08t4r.
Simple removal of the "unit bearing assembly" from the spindle with only 4 bolts. If u leave it in you may damage the seals with heat, and it might b in the way to clean and prep and paint.
Just don't forget to remove the small abs sensor on the spindle first.

The gussets are easy to set up. You'll need your uca taper bolt and the swaybar bracket bolt to align and set it up.

I think I have some pics in my thread here. El chamalon azul
They look cool, and I have not bent my spindles yet.

rickashay

Explorer
My spindle gussets were installed with the bearings in place. That being said my fabricator was very cautious and still pre heated everything. I had new wheel bearings on hand as well in case I needed to replace them afterwards. Everything went good though and I have been driving on them for about a year without issue. Still have the new wheel bearings sitting for when they do decide to crap out.

Flyer69

Observer
My spindle gussets were installed with the bearings in place. That being said my fabricator was very cautious and still pre heated everything. I had new wheel bearings on hand as well in case I needed to replace them afterwards. Everything went good though and I have been driving on them for about a year without issue. Still have the new wheel bearings sitting for when they do decide to crap out.

That's good news.... Thank you Rickashay. I hope to do the same. Great work on Colossal, btw! I've been following along and am looking forward to the next installment.

Anathollo

Well, my Camburg UCA's finally arrived after being backordered, and I have all the new parts to completely rebuild my front suspension. I'll be replacing the LCA's with new Moog ones, rather than fight with the pressed-in bushings. I also have new Moog lower ball joints and some tie rod ends just in case. I'll be home from work next Weds and plan to get after it. I'll be taking lots of pictures and sharing my work as well.

I also picked up a pair of Total Chaos spindle gussets. At around 40 bucks, I thought "why not?". So... my question is this: Will I need to remove (press out) the hub/bearing assembly from the spindle, and if so, how much of a pain is that? If so, I'll probably just opt to install new wheel bearings. I have no issues with the factory wheel bearings, but since it will be all apart and the truck has 168k on it, I'm thinking I might as well. Any recommendations on which wheel bearings to get? I see there are lots out there to choose from.

Thanks for the help.

Moog parts are junk. Return them and get OEM parts. Speaking from experience here...Within the next week I'll be replacing all of the moog parts I have on the front end of my Tacoma. I think my tie rod ends lasted ~5k miles before the boot blew out. I know the price of the Moog PARTS is really appealing but you get what you pay for unfortunately.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Moog parts are junk. Return them and get OEM parts. Speaking from experience here...Within the next week I'll be replacing all of the moog parts I have on the front end of my Tacoma. I think my tie rod ends lasted ~5k miles before the boot blew out. I know the price of the Moog PARTS is really appealing but you get what you pay for unfortunately.

I second this. Not from my experience but what others have said who used moog parts. I didn't wanna say anything at first as I don't have first hand experience. Certain items is best to go with Toyota. ball joints especially. The little money saved isn't worth being on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere or worst lead to a crash

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flyer69

Observer
Ok, I did some more research and I found a pair of new OEM Toyota LBJ's for $160 shipped. They should arrive at the house before I do next week. Thanks for the sound advice guys. I personally have had nothing but positive experience with Moog parts, and I know other people who swear by them, however... failure of this particular part would be catastrophic, so OEM is a wise choice. I'll try to return the Moog ones, but if it's too late, I'll keep them for emergency spares.

I'm still on the fence about welding the spindle gussets with the bearings in place. At this point, I'm thinking I will buy new bearings, then weld up the gussets with the old bearings in place. Then I'll have a machine shop swap the old bearings for the new. I'd feel pretty foolish if I put the whole new front end back together and have wheel bearing problems shortly thereafter.

Terrible experience with moog lbj; lasted 5k before I had to replace. Then the bolt stripped out on the tre when I was torquing it down on the knuckle. Won't skimp here any more, OEM all the way.

Flyer69

Observer
Ok, these $40 TC spindle gussets are turning into a $300 hassle. I think I'm just going to rebuild the front end with my Camburgs, OEM LBJ's and some new LCA bushings and call it good. If my factory wheel bearings ever fail, then I'll do the gussets. Already did my steering and sway bar bushings plus transfer case lowering kit. Thanks for the advice guys. I'll post up some photos of the job soon.

Sea.Jay

Observer
Lol TCs spindle gussets do absolutely nothing. Look at the upright, notice where it mounts, then look at every spindle/knuckle that's ever broken on an fj, tundra, t100, tacoma, 4runner and you'll soon realize they do NOTHING. coming from an owner of the company "somebody's got to make the parts to talk about around the camp fire"

Arctic expeditions is bouncing 6k pound trucks on 38 inch tires on stock spindles and have broken 1 and bent 1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles