Spindle gusset install on 1st gen Tundra advice?

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Lol TCs spindle gussets do absolutely nothing. Look at the upright, notice where it mounts, then look at every spindle/knuckle that's ever broken on an fj, tundra, t100, tacoma, 4runner and you'll soon realize they do NOTHING. coming from an owner of the company "somebody's got to make the parts to talk about around the camp fire"

Arctic expeditions is bouncing 6k pound trucks on 38 inch tires on stock spindles and have broken 1 and bent 1.

I haven't personally seen any break or bend. I wanna do it mainly so it doesn't bend.

6k? I think my tundra weights more than that. Probably 7k or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokeysevin

Observer
Logically if you weld the slug into the spindle the next weakest spot is the toothpick part of the spindle. I know on my new spindles id rather spend the $40 on the gusset rather than a tow, a fender, and a replacement spindle.

Sean

seanpistol

Explorer
The ball joint is not an issue if the bolts holding it into the steering knuckle don't fall out and they don't fall out if they are properly installed. Red loctite on the four 14mm bolts and 60 ft/lbs of torque. If a shop installs them for you, I'd pull the bolts, add red loctite and use a torque wrench.

I also disagree on the TC spindle gussets. I'll be burning a set on soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles