Spices and stuff for cooking.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Anyone have a list of spices and other essential things they pack for their camping trips?

I'm not a huge fan of cooking and I don't get too crazy with my meals, but I'd like to try to step it up a little bit this coming camping season. I'm not looking for anything crazy. I'd like to make some nicer meals but not have to get crazy with ingredients. Simple, but still tasty.

I have a Coleman stove and could pack a Coleman tailgater grill but it's a little bulky. But I'd like to use the stove as my main source.

Anyone have a list of spices they take with them on their trips? I've taken just pepper, salt, and some seasoning salt. I thought I found a list once online but I can't find it.

Joanne

Adventurer
Anyone have a list of spices and other essential things they pack for their camping trips?

I'm not a huge fan of cooking and I don't get too crazy with my meals, but I'd like to try to step it up a little bit this coming camping season. I'm not looking for anything crazy. I'd like to make some nicer meals but not have to get crazy with ingredients. Simple, but still tasty.

I have a Coleman stove and could pack a Coleman tailgater grill but it's a little bulky. But I'd like to use the stove as my main source.

Anyone have a list of spices they take with them on their trips? I've taken just pepper, salt, and some seasoning salt. I thought I found a list once online but I can't find it.

My mandatory list is: salt, pepper, garlic powder, cinnamon, nutmeg (The last two are for desserts)

You can make pretty much anything taste reasonably good with those basics. The specific dishes I'm going to cook on the trip dictates whatever else gets taken along. The basic list goes on EVERY trip.

Joanne

4x4junkie

Explorer
Salt, pepper, lemon pepper, seasoned salt, garlic powder, italian herb.
Others I bring as needed for specific meals (bay leaves for pasta sauce for example).

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Salt, pepper, lemon pepper, garlic powder, Morton's season salt (yellow label with blue lid). Pretty much the same as everyone else. But I also never leave home without sriracha, worchestershire sauce, and Bragg's liquid aminos, none of which require refrigeration. Bragg's usually stirs up a debate about whether or not it is actually better for you then regular soy sauce but I like the flavor so I keep it around.

6x6pinz

Adventurer
The best way to set up your vehicle kitchen is to cook at home. That is to say make your meals at home and list the items used. You will find a common denominator in what you like in no time. My trucks pantry is a smaller version of what is at my house. I don't have to adjust any recipe when out. Almost all spices are available in very small containers, which I just refill from the house containers as they get low.

NikonRon

Adventurer
Black pepper, cayenne pepper,salt,paprika,garlic,tabasco sauce
worcestershire,Dale's steak seasoning,red pepper flakes,olive oil, butter, fresh onions. Happy meals! :drool: Ron

sixbennetts

Adventurer
Onion + Garlic powder
Chili powder
Celery salt
Oregano
Sea salt
Black pepper
Cinnamon and sugar mixed in a shaker for toast or beans
Olive oil in a small squeeze bottle
Margarine or butter

And the one I never leave home without....

Montreal steak seasoning ( because you can make a killer marinade for any meat, poultry, or fish with it and some cheap wine, and come out of it looking like a wicked good cook!)

Salt in disposable grinder

Pepper in disposable grinder

Kosher Salt - Kosher salt is much different than other types of salts. If cook meat, it is a must. just learn how to use it. I don't even have regular salt in my home. I have kosher salt and rock salt.

French fry salt - Salt, pepper, garlic powder

Cayenne Pepper - even if you cant taste it, it is bringing out flavors that can only be released by capsaicin found in chilis. A fun little factoid, cayenne pepper is in the vanilla family and they can be substituted for each other.

Dill - if you deal with fish, dill is a must

I skip lemon pepper and just go straight to the source. I use fresh lemons and limes when camping.

I have found the best way to cook a steak is lubricate both sides of a steak with olive oil. Then liberally cover the steak with Kosher salt and fresh pepper and throw it on the grill. Skip all the fancy stuff and give it a try. You will never use steak seasoning again.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Montreal steak seasoning is nice on a hamburger patty too.

And oven baked tatos and carrots thrown together with some olive oil :)
We use montreal on all meats :)

For me a must have is my shoyu ! But has to be aloha as kikkoman is nasty stuff :)
Eggs and portuguese sausage for breakfast with shoyu ! Yummy

We use coconut oil a lot for cooking prefer the taste and think it makes things crunchier crisper :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior