SPF/UVF clothing

fnjeep314

Observer
Long story short, I had a melanoma removed along with a large chunk of my ear last year. So now I need to be smarter about sun protection.

I have a few Columbia swim SPF shirts and a few button ups.

What kind of pants or shirts and hats is anyone wearing for sun protection?

bas157

I like the ExOfficio Air Strip shirt. Can have the long sleeves down when its hot and I don't think it makes me any hotter than if I had short sleeves on. I've had people ask me why I wearing long sleeves sometimes when it is so hot out.
On ExOfficio's website though, the more recent reviews make it seem like they changed the shirt since I've bought mine, and not a change for the better!

Hats, I've got a few Columbia and one North Face boonie hat.

emulous74

Please remember that the UVF/SPV are coatings on fibers and do wear off after a certain number of washes (the manufacturers should be stating this), please don't use these as your only defense against the sun.

pluton

Adventurer
Please remember that the UVF/SPV are coatings on fibers and do wear off after a certain number of washes (the manufacturers should be stating this), please don't use these as your only defense against the sun.
UV protection comes from the tightness of the weave. There is no physical way a coating on the outside of woven cloth could stop light from passing through the voids in the fabric.

emulous74

UV protection comes from the tightness of the weave. There is no physical way a coating on the outside of woven cloth could stop light from passing through the voids in the fabric.

That is mainly true, but what I said also applies, clothes degrade each time you wash them.

pluton

Adventurer
Speaking of degradation, how about when the manufacturers do it to their own products?
I recently ordered a Hanes Beefy-T t-shirt; The fabric seemed thinner than an identical shirt I had ordered a couple of years ago. We weighed the 2 shirts. Hanes had found a way to subtract 6 grams from the current model. I call this The Cheapening. In few years they'll be selling cheese cloth and calling it "tough" and "beefy!"

4000lbsOfGoat

Another vote for ExOfficio - for both shirts and pants. Maybe not the most stylish clothing options out there but they are crazy durable and comfortable in an extremely wide range of temperatures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles