Speedometer recalibration via Dakota Digital

dustboy

Explorer
I just ordered one of these:

Dakota Digital SGI-5 Universal Speedometer Signal Interface

I've seen similar boxes for $200+ and it didn't seem worth it, but for $90 shipped, I'll hopefully get a correct speedo and odo reading. The box seems pretty versatile, it can correct for a huge range.

My truck is a '99 Tacoma with 235/85R16's and 4.56 gears. The factory setup was 225/75R15 with 3.58 gears. The speedometer now reads 15% fast. I wouldn't really bother, but it bugs me that the odometer is adding miles 15% faster now.

daPitbull

Adventurer
With larger tires, you're odometer reads slower. Meaning you're going more miles then your odometer reads. You're going faster than your speedometer is reading too.

dustboy

Explorer
With larger tires, you're odometer reads slower. Meaning you're going more miles then your odometer reads. You're going faster than your speedometer is reading too.

The gear ratio at the differential is lower than stock, and the speedo reads at the output of the transfer case, so that's not true in this case. At 68 MPH it reads 80 MPH.

dustboy

Explorer
I installed the box yesterday, the hookup is pretty straightforward, but the calibration is tricky. It was difficult to figure out how to input the correct ratio, but now the speedometer reads correctly, and it is possible to calibrate it very precisely.

There is a writeup by another guy on 4x4wire who installed the same box on a Tacoma, but he tapped into the wires at the sensor under the truck. Rather than run new wires through the firewall etc., I thought it would be a little more sanitary to find the wires inside the cab and tap them there.

They run through the firewall in the big boot on the passenger side, and come out behind the glove box. The wires are a pink, light blue and green with red stripe. I found them at a connector above the glove box liner.

Glove box removed:
IMG_2905.JPG

Glove box liner pulled down (don't mess with any yellow connectors, that's the airbag!!):
IMG_2906.JPG

Here you can see the pink, blue and green/red wires (blue=ground, pink=power, green/red=signal):
IMG_2907.jpg

For the connection, I used a multi-conductor cable that I cut from an old CD-changer control. I gave it about 3' of length, so I can have the box close to me for calibration while driving.
IMG_2910.JPG

One end of the cable goes to the box. I used the same colors as the sensor, and red for the output to the speedo. This photo shows the output connected to Output 1, but for the Tacoma I had to move it to Output 2.
IMG_2911.JPG

The green/red wire from the sensor gets cut, and the sensor side goes to the box input, and the speedo side goes to the box output. The pink and blue just get tapped onto for power.
IMG_2912.JPG

That's about it for the hookup. There is a big table in the instructions you need to use to find the correct coarse and fine settings, and the lights on the box will flash a certain number of times to indicate what the setting is. RTFM, it is a little unclear. For my correction of 15%, the coarse setting flashed 15 times, and the fine flashed 10. All the DIP switches are set to OFF.

Once you get all that stuff sorted, you can start driving and use GPS to dial in the speed. If it reads too fast, hold the DOWN button, and as you drive at a steady speed you will see the speedo needle VERY SLOWLY drop. It moves maybe 1 mph for every 2-3 seconds you hold it down. Once you are happy with the calibration, find a place under the dash to stash the box and hold it down with screws or velcro. You'll never have to think about it again unless you change tire size.

matt s

Explorer
My entire dash is a Dakota Digital, being able to correct the speedo is one very nice feature. Although getting it perfect is a little tough. I am within .5 mph at cruising. so that's pretty good. Actually I doubt the original was ever any more accurate.

dustboy

Explorer
I think newer trucks will run into issues if the speedo reads off the ABS sensors, which obviously you don't want to mess with. My Taco doesn't even have ABS.

The guy on 4x4wire installed it on a Tacoma with ABS, but his truck has the same speedo sensor on the transfer case. He reported no issues.

01tundra

Explorer
Great write up, I wish I would take to time to document half the stuff I do to my truck :)!

Just to throw out another option for people -

I've been using an Abbott Enterprises ERA calibration unit for the past eight years or so and have had to recalibrate due to gear and/or tire size changes at least 10 times.

It is always quick and easy to recalibrate by simply resetting the series of mini dip switches and has always put my speedo 100% correct according to both GPS and the police road side detection signs.

It cost $180 and will work on just about any vehicle as far as I know. I've also had great customer support with these guys.

I was orginally referred to Datoka by Advanced Adapters when I was installing the first Atlas t-case in my truck, but when I called them the guy on the phone acted like a rude ***, so I went with Abbott and never looked back. I'm sure they make great products, we just weren't able to get on the same page for some reason.......

http://www.atrol.com/era.htm

zippyx1

2004 Tacoma speedometer

I've been using an Abbott Enterprises ERA calibration unit for the past eight years or so and have had to recalibrate due to gear and/or tire size changes at least 10 times.

I've connected the Abbott ERA to a 2004 Tacoma per the same method in this thread, but speedo still reads 10% high and I get a Check Engine light. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online