specs 80 series with 38" or 44" tires

veiloctane

hi i am looking to build a 80 series truck with 38" or 44" tires. kind of like the ones they have on artictrucks.

http://www.arctictrucks.com/lisalib/getfile.aspx?itemid=1720

to me it looks like these guys are running stock axles
what would i need to looking like these guys?
what needs to be changed/upgraded?

i am looking at a slee 6" lift kit
major fender trimming.
5.29 gearing
i have a $25,000 budget including the truck.

i am looking for ideas? please help!!!

is it possible to get this to fit with out a body lift?

efuentes

Explorer
At the very least, look at a Custom Dana 60 for the front (6K-8K Fully loaded) and a Dana 70 or Ford 9" full floating for the rear (3K), Try Dynatrack.com, also some type of steering assist and maybe lower trasfer case gears to help on the really tough spots.

Saludos

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
The slee 6" works real well on 37s I've seen. Anything bigger and yep you're trimming prety big. The arctics are for flotation and as I understand have very little articulation above stock.

Good Q though as is this for ice, rock, road? That will help determine your mod needs.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Well, I know there's a few folks on here that are well further qualified than I to answer this, but the big wide tires you've spec'd will put a different moment on the stock axle bearings. I'm unsure how the arctics did it. Getting larger width Danas and more centered wheels may be an option. 5.29s may be OK, but you may want to also body lift and regear http://www.marks4wd.com/products/gearmaster/lc-80-100-extra-low-tc-gears.htm and regear again http://sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_crawler.htm .

I'm guessing your $25k will be easily exhausted.

CodyLX450

Adventurer
Im pretty sure these guys are on 38x15s...

It would seem the majority of the suspension is in the big flexy tire..

getfile.aspx

There is obvious fender trimming and then adding those huge flares...

Those flares would die quite fast on a trail if they came in contact with anything, and I've heard they are quite expensive for a set.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
The other major mod they did that hasn't been mentioned yet is the strething of the wheelbase via relocating the rear axle farther aft on the arctic trucks.

bjordnolf

Observer
You can make the stock axles much stronger with longfield inner axles and longfield birfields. Slee sells chromoly rear axle shafts.
thanks

Brian894x4

Explorer
Those artic trucks are very cool. Now that I have an 80, I too am very curious how their expedition 80s are set up and would love to see more pics and video, if anyone has any good links.

Good luck on your built. If it were me, I think I would limit tire height to around 36x15. That would save you on suspension mods and gearing. You could probably fit those with only a 4" kit and use 4.88 or 5.29s and still retain a good amount of power for the wheelspin you'll want.

Last edited:

bjordnolf

Observer
Thought about your question again and the best and probably only way I would go is with the volvo portal axles. A guy did a write up on pirate4x4 and ih8mud.com. He is running 40 in swampers on these axles and only needed a 2.5in lift to fit them.

highlux

Observer
Was searching and found some pics on Jap style Monster Trucks (Street Queens obviously). Here ya go...if you wanna be able to see over big rigs and buses, hehe. Japanese people aren't known for their height, so your guess at how they get in is as good as mine.:)

How to get this high: looks like huge body lifts and spacers and almost "U" shaped leaf springs, and I don't know if those shocks are even doing anything. Can't say they are even driveable anymore! Looks like stock axles though.

massivetlcs1.jpg

massivetlcs2.jpg

And for those interested...a NA Taco DC, with 38"+ tires and very little lift. Check out the dish on those rims!

arctictaco.jpg

CodyLX450

Adventurer
Hehe...

I think once I address any and all remaining clearance issues with my 38.7s, some artic truck style balloon tires will be my next adventure...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles