Isuzu Dmax build - now adding aux battery behind rear seat

Specky

Hey all,

Alan (Specky) here from Darwin, Australia. Thought I'd take the time to write up my 2014 Isuzu Dmax

Got the Dmax in September 2014 after i wrote off my earlier vehicle (2004 Toyota Hilux) on a wild horse - the Northern Territory where i live is home to countless large wild animals like horses, buffalo, cattle and camels so its a surprisingly common occurrence. video evidence here : .

Decided on the Isuzu Dmax as it gave better value for money than the Hilux/ Navara/ Ranger/ BT50 equivalents, and has one of the best motors in the game.

It's since gone under an extensive list of mods to suit our needs and lifestyle - i'm proud Dad to two lads (8 and 10) that LOVE the fishing, hunting and camping lifestyle so the Dmax has been built with that in mind. It's also my daily driver, so its a balancing act between function and practicality.

Frontal protection - ARB deluxe steel winch bar. ARB did me a great deal after using the video and a testimonial from the horse hitting my earlier car - the ARB bar on the Hilux undoubtedly saved my derriere.
Recovery - Magnum 9,000lb winch; ARB full recovery kit in the rear; MaxTrax on the roof when out bush; shovel & Hi Lift jack mounted to the right side of canopy rack.
Fuel - Long Ranger 140 litre long range tank
Front Suspension - Dobinson Suspension struts (150kg constant load) with the Dobinson MRR remote reservoir shocks - pretty happy with these so far. Did have the standard foam cell shocks but these failed within 5,000km and were replaced with the MRRs, which are a much better option.
Rear Suspension - Dobinson Suspension 450kg constant load springs with the Dobinson foam cell shocks. Have done 70,000km with these now and starting to get some drooping in the rear - happy though, given the punishment that they have copped over the years.
Driving lights - Lightforce HTX driving lights x 2. These replaced the Lightforce XGT 50W HID's and 22" LED light bar that were on there, and couldn't be happier - less wind noise and far greater peripheral coverage when driving at night.
Communications - Icom IC440N UHF radio teamed with a RFI UHF antenna (replaced the white GME on in the pics). RFI iPhone booster kit teamed to an external RFI antenna. iSatphone 2. Two UHF hand held radios (Uniden UH950's) with charging stations set up in the rear of cab.
Canopy - ARB plastic canopy
Canopy Rack - ARB aluminium trademans rack with under-rack Rigid Industries and Narva LED lights left, right and rearwards for work and camping duties at night
Roof Rack - Yakima Lock'nLoad
Solar - Redarc 180W solar panel feeding a 20A solar charge controller into the aux battery, in addition to an Engel Powerfilm 120W solar blanket that feeds into the charge controller when set up
Dual battery - Kickass 170AH deep cycle battery in the tray, controlled by a Redarc BCDC1225 charger with solar input to both batteries.
Wheels & Tyres - Isuzu 17" alloy rims with Cooper ST Maxx tyres in the rear and BF Goodrich ATs on the front - not happy with the performance of the Coopers so they are being phased out as they wear.
Draw system - home made, incorporating a 60 litre Boab by Dolium water tank and pump plumbed to a tap to the left side of the drawers.
Fridge - Engel 60 litre MT 60 fridge on a home made tilt slide.
Fire extinguishers - one in the cab (in front of passenger seat) and one in the canopy (mounted to the right of the windoor).
Annex - ARB 2.5x3m

I'm planning on building some more versatile drawers and a new tilt slide for the fridge in the coming months - both were first time projects so looking to cut weight and improve practicality than the current set-up.

Attachments

• dmax.jpg
    dmax.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 161
  • dmax2.jpg
    dmax2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Battle

I'm so jealous of this thing! It looks just like 4WD Action's first DMax. I wish we got small, diesel-powered pickups here in the U.S.

ChasingOurTrunks

I'm so jealous of this thing! It looks just like 4WD Action's first DMax. I wish we got small, diesel-powered pickups here in the U.S.

I was thinking the same thing -- this might as well be Graham Cahill's rig! (But of note -- you do get small, diesel powered pickups in the USA. In fact, Specky's DMAX is part of a "world truck" platform and shares a chassis with the Colorado/Canyon here in North America, which is available with the 2.8L Duramax -- a great little oil burner)

@Specky, great rig! Nicely put together. I'd be very interested in learning about your tilt slide mechanism you build as I am looking at building a similar system on mine.

Specky

I was thinking the same thing -- this might as well be Graham Cahill's rig! (But of note -- you do get small, diesel powered pickups in the USA. In fact, Specky's DMAX is part of a "world truck" platform and shares a chassis with the Colorado/Canyon here in North America, which is available with the 2.8L Duramax -- a great little oil burner)

@Specky, great rig! Nicely put together. I'd be very interested in learning about your tilt slide mechanism you build as I am looking at building a similar system on mine.

Hey mate, thanks for your kind words - externally its very similar to Grahams rig (same base vehicle), but mines never been inverted (!!!) and i'd suggest Grahams is a lot more heavily modded than mine!

The tilt slide is as basic as it gets - two 125kg locking slides in a frame, connected to a base frame with the pivot at the front, and 50kg gas struts to push down on the back of the tilting component of the slide. I'll take some more pics this afternoon but its all home made and has worked well so far, but i'm moving it on to build something lighter and a little lower - currently there is 30mm above the fridge and 40mm below the fridge that is unusable space so i'd like to make something with tighter tolerances, and a little less weight. Current slide weighs 20 kilos, and i reckon i can halve that using aluminium for the cage and some smarter design in the build.

Specky

So i've made the decision to build a new set of drawers that will be better suited to our specific needs - the offset height doesn't make for the most useable amount of space both in the drawer below and the space above the drawers. I've decided to make the system from lighter material (mainly 12mm marine ply) with cutouts where possible to reduce the overall weight of the system. Current set up comes in at 68kg, i reckon with clever design and planning, i can cut the weight by 60% and increase practical storage space in the system.

Given the Dmax is a daily driver that is used for hunting, camping, fishing and generally everything, versatility is the key! I'm thinking:
- two drawers that are the same height, but one slightly wider than the other to accommodate camera bags and the like
- an offset drawer down the drivers side of the drawer carcass to securely store firearms and ammunition when hunting
- incorporate the 50 litre water tank and pump that the current system has
- accommodate an ARB air compressor somewhere practical
- provide a full, flat deck above the drawers with securing points for equipment/ items above the drawers
- mounting points for the new fridge tilt slide
- make for easy removal of the drawer system when its not being used.

I'm looking at relocating the auxiliary battery from the tray to behind the rear seat in the cab using a slimline fully sealed 140AH AGM battery, given the space behind the seats isnt used in any capacity at the moment. This has the added benefit of moving 40kg from behind the rear axle of the ute to between the axles, making for better weight distribution.

Been doodling (old school!) and come up with the basic plan in the pic below - system height is 380mm, left drawer is 500mm wide, right drawer 440mm wide, and the drawer to the right of the carcass is 130mm wide to accommodate two rifles/ shotguns plus ammunition.

Second pic is the current system that's not working as well as i'd like. Car gets checked every trip to make sure that the stow-away isnt still hiding in the canopy!

Attachments

• dmax drawers.jpg
    dmax drawers.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 52
  • dmax3.jpg
    dmax3.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 54

Specky

Hey mate, pics of the tilt slide for you

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35

Specky

Thank you! Very nice work! I like how clean it looks. Does it pivot on the edge of the box, or is there an axle mechanism there that it pivots around?

Thank you for taking those pictures and sharing them!

My pleasure mate. Just under the tab for the locking slides, there is an M6 bolt with a nylon top-hat washer that acts as the pivot. I'll take some clearer pics tonight and post them up :)

Specky

Very nice rig. I wonder whether some hopper stoppers would prevent any unwanted horsepower in the future...
Hey mate, we've run these on work vehicles in the past and ended up removing them - the noise did deter animals away from the road, but we found those in front of the vehicles stopped (presumably to see what the noise was?! Or dazzled by the headlights) and became a road hazard.

Ive found that since changing to the LIghtforce HTX driving lights that peripheral vision at night is much better than with the previous set up (XGT and LED light bar combo), and i simply sit at a lower speed or avoid driving at night all together where i can.

Au_Specky

Commenced work in the new drawer system over the weekend. 12mm CD ply for the base and sides, 15mm for the top. Will accommodate the water tank in the rear

joints are going to be glued and screwed, with 2mm deep rebates routed in to add some more strength and more surface area for the glue to bond on.

Attachments

• 46144D05-0080-4076-93DB-8B4A842B0234.jpeg
    46144D05-0080-4076-93DB-8B4A842B0234.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 23
  • 33022D20-366E-485A-B993-CEE03A23DCD5.jpeg
    33022D20-366E-485A-B993-CEE03A23DCD5.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 2DEC8686-FD81-4A7A-BBBA-2BAEB3F41A16.jpeg
    2DEC8686-FD81-4A7A-BBBA-2BAEB3F41A16.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 8DE960F3-C6CC-4E41-97A9-1F82C5F28928.jpeg
    8DE960F3-C6CC-4E41-97A9-1F82C5F28928.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 86FBEE8C-7A1E-4423-99DC-BA3B618107E2.jpeg
    86FBEE8C-7A1E-4423-99DC-BA3B618107E2.jpeg
    21.7 KB · Views: 22

Specky

Ordered a couple of sets of 1220mm slides rated to 227kg from Duraslide Australia for the drawers, planning on bolting through the timber using T-Nuts rather than screwing and risk having the screws pull through the timber. Was hoping for something a little lighter but couldnt find the lower rating slides in anything over a metre length :)

What has everyone else done for protecting the timber? Im thinking marine grade urethane on all surfaces to seal and protect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94