Specific Solar Recommendation - Turtleback Getaway

tnwestes

I'm clueless on solar. Pic attached of my setup. Will mostly be running lights and charging basics like phones, computers and GPS dog collars.

Any recs on a solar panel?

Attachments

• 16199811764404496939943957532960.jpg
    16199811764404496939943957532960.jpg
    961.6 KB · Views: 35
You need to determine your average daily load (electrical draw) on the battery.

Is the battery lithium or AGM or ? Makes a difference in how often it make need to be recharged.

Chances are a 100 watt folding solar panel will be adequate for your needs.

vomhorizon

I see you are running a Group 31 AGM paired with a BCDC which has the solar capacity (so whatever solar solution you go for, you do not need to get a charge controller). Do you have a roof top tent on the trailer? I see a couple of options for you. Option one is to simply mount a flexible panel on your Roof top tent if you have a hard shell style tent. You should be able to pick up a 100 Watt panel, along with the wiring for about $200 and it should suffice though don't expect to get more than 3 or so Amps out of it given it will be mounted permanently and won't be movable. Alternatively, you can get yourself a folding suitcase like panel, or a lighter folding system both of which can be had for a similar price. Here are a couple of options to consider:

These should provide better charging because they can be angled towards the sun, but the drawback obviously is that they can't charge your battery when you are on the go (but the DC-DC charging should take care of that given your loads). With what you've described as your load, and the bank size, I don't think you need anything larger than a 100 W panel unless you want to run something like a fridge in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior