Special Agent Cooper Takes Montana

CatskillsRunner

Adventurer
Thanks Foy!

There is a better N. Fork Flathead video up there now...linked in post above.

I want to do one for the Missouri River around Craig too...this week hopefully.

Foy

Explorer
Never been afield there

The upper Missouri is another of the Montana locales I've never had the pleasure of exploring or fishing. Another very nice piece of work on the video--thanks!

If you need for the pangs to stay to subside, best stay away from the Big Hole, Wise River, the Beaverhead, the Ruby, the Red Rock, and the Madison.

Foy

CatskillsRunner

Adventurer
Hey Foy,

All I ever heard about was the Madison. From what I've read it is the quintessential Montana river. But over the winter I looked at boat launches on the satellite map and all I saw were boats on the ramps, in the parking lots, and on the river. It seemed really crowded. And I know it gets a lot of pressure. More, I think, than where we were on the Missouri, even though that was some tough fishing. The only fish I caught were born yesterday and were too young to know not to go for what I presented them with. My other problem is that I'm really new to fly fishing and while I have pretty good aim and my casting has improved, my back cast gets me into trouble. So it is easier from the raft. And then of course you're limited by flows. By the time we make it out west is is late June and many rivers have already started subsiding.

I would like to spend more time in SW Montana, though, next time. It is a massive state. Hard to do it justice in 2 weeks.

Headed your way tomorrow. OBX!

Foy

Explorer
The valleys, not just the rivers

Kristy,

I'm sure you're right about the Madison and it being both the quintessential Montana river, and crowded. My reference was more aimed at the scenery in the valleys/canyons of the named rivers in SW Montana, though the lower Big Hole and the Beaverhead from Clark's Canyon Reservation to Dillon are classic float waters in their own rights.

Have fun in the OBX! Talk about crowds at this time of year.............but if you get down to Hatteras/Ocracoke you can find a bit of solitude. From Oregon Inlet to the Virginia state line--not for me.

Foy

CatskillsRunner

Adventurer
Kristy,

I'm sure you're right about the Madison and it being both the quintessential Montana river, and crowded. My reference was more aimed at the scenery in the valleys/canyons of the named rivers in SW Montana, though the lower Big Hole and the Beaverhead from Clark's Canyon Reservation to Dillon are classic float waters in their own rights.

Have fun in the OBX! Talk about crowds at this time of year.............but if you get down to Hatteras/Ocracoke you can find a bit of solitude. From Oregon Inlet to the Virginia state line--not for me.

Foy

Foy,

I am stuck on a terrible island called Hatteras. I'm in Waves. It feels as though we are in the middle of the ocean. The island is that skinny. You can see the sunrise and sunset from where we are. On top of all that, it is so so crowded, so congested. Just look at the pics. for proof...

Attachments

• IMG_20160828_213420.jpg
    IMG_20160828_213420.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20160828_220616-1600x1200.jpg
    IMG_20160828_220616-1600x1200.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20160828_210150-1600x1200.jpg
    IMG_20160828_210150-1600x1200.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 7

Forum statistics

Threads