SpecE450 - Red Cross ERV turned Racecar Tow Rig

qcdstick

Yeah, that will be the general idea. The thing you can't see very well in this picture is it actually can draw air from the top too, but it can only draw from the back (towards the camera). Would need to block that off, which would block 2/3 of the vent area on the unit, or have a more complex divider that gets the warm air away without blocking the top's ability to breath.

19Spec3

I ordered two 400 CFM fans and will probably install them one at a time for testing. The fans should arrive in the next week or so and I'll report back. Not sure how useful it is in this application, but I found this handy calculator to determine the CFM's required to cool the heat generated by my A/C unit that draws 492 watts. Based on that calculator, at 95 degrees ambient, a CFM of 344.5 will allow the interior dam temperature to reach 100 degrees. At 400 CFM, the interior air will reach somewhere between 99F and 100F. The very small difference between anticipated interior and ambient air temps leads me to believe that 400 CFM will be sufficient on most days. Of course, this does not account for warming of the interior air caused by the sun and I suspect additional CFM's will be required due to the large volume of air behind the air dam. If cooling is still insufficient, then I'll separate the A/C unit's intake and exhaust.

In the mean time, I installed the last of my leftover Killmat on top of the cab and on the hood. I doubt it will make a huge difference but maybe a tiny bit quieter. I'll do the doors later when I have the panels off to swap mirrors.

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’m planning on insulating above the ceiling. I’m curious to see if it makes a noise difference got you. If it does I’ll also add soundproofing. The cab seems to be the source of 90% of the heat inside the truck,

iggi

Ian
Soundmat on the cab ceiling did reduce noise. Not as much as the stuff on the floor and engine cover but it did help.

I’m planning on insulating above the ceiling. I’m curious to see if it makes a noise difference got you. If it does I’ll also add soundproofing. The cab seems to be the source of 90% of the heat inside the truck,

Oka 374

How would you go hinging the wind deflector off the box and then flip it upwards when using the a/c. You could use over centre catches to lock it down when travelling. then the a/c would effectively be outside and exposed like in a house situation with the added benefit of a sunshade created by the raised wind deflector.

19Spec3

How would you go hinging the wind deflector off the box and then flip it upwards when using the a/c. You could use over centre catches to lock it down when travelling. then the a/c would effectively be outside and exposed like in a house situation with the added benefit of a sunshade created by the raised wind deflector.

An interesting solution but that deflector is bolted through the top of the cab in about 8 places. Amazingly, nothing leaks at the moment. I'd be afraid that those holes would start leaking if I dismounted and remounted the air deflector.

19Spec3

I declare A/C victory! I installed two 400CFM fans on either side of the air deflector. Each fan sits atop a 6" diameter hole and they're IP68 rated so they're essentially dustproof / waterproof. The fan on the driver side sucks ambient air in, and the fan on the passenger side (right next to the rear of the A/C unit) blows hot air out. There is more than enough air flow. I ran the A/C unit and the new fans for about 45 minutes in 90F weather with indirect 5PM sunlight. The A/C unit cooled the box down significantly and continued to blow cold air the whole time. It never got very cool in there but it was comfortable enough and presumably would have continued to get cooler if I left it running more than 45 mins. I'll be at the race track this coming weekend and I'm pretty confident I'll be sleeping in cool luxury.

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

19Spec3

Happy to report that the A/C unit has been working flawlessly with the addition of the fans. I think I'm done monkeying with that for now.

Then we had a reminder that this rig is indeed 20 years old. On the tow home from PittRace, the ambo started pulling left under braking, and then started pulling left constantly. I pulled over within a couple miles of this behavior and the left front brake was smoking. Lovely. I let it cool down for a bit and gave it several hard stomps on the brake pedal. That apparently freed up the caliper and we limped it home the last 10-15 miles. Time for new front brake pads, rotors, calipers, lines, and wheel bearings. Ambo parts are heavy.

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Happy to report that the A/C unit has been working flawlessly with the addition of the fans. I think I'm done monkeying with that for now.

Then we had a reminder that this rig is indeed 20 years old. On the tow home from PittRace, the ambo started pulling left under braking, and then started pulling left constantly. I pulled over within a couple miles of this behavior and the left front brake was smoking. Lovely. I let it cool down for a bit and gave it several hard stomps on the brake pedal. That apparently freed up the caliper and we limped it home the last 10-15 miles. Time for new front brake pads, rotors, calipers, lines, and wheel bearings. Ambo parts are heavy.

View attachment 674476

View attachment 674477
I recently had the same problem with my left front brakes.

I’m my case brake dust and debris on the sliding pins… etc. After some cleaning and servicing they’re back to 100%.

Based on this experience I’d recommend an annual service of the brakes. Unlike my old Toyota brakes that I hardly touched in 20 years… Ford brakes need regular polishing of the floating surfaces.

19Spec3

My slides looked clean, albeit pretty dry. Almost zero brake fluid came out of the front left brake hose when I detached it from the caliper so I suspect the hose failed internally. I'll certainly add some Ambo maintenance to my annual pre-racing season checklist.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
When in doubt, change those rubber lines. They like to defy physics and do weird things like act like check valves and such.

19Spec3

Installed a swivel passenger seat from BlingMyRig.com. Install is super simple and involves all of 8 nuts/bolts. It'll be nice to have a real seat to use while we're parked.

IMG_0928.jpg

19Spec3

A minor but very necessary upgrade. We got a puppy so the screen door needs some reinforcement.

I paid about $40 for a 36" x 36" sheet of Lincane Aluminum from Home Depot. It cuts easily with tin snips and the holes are exactly 1/8th inch -- perfect for rivets. The puppy did not help but she did learn about drill noises and to watch from a safe distance. Very happy with how it turned out and it seems sturdy enough to withstand puppy claws.

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior