Spare wheel winch/lift/crane -ideas, please?

GrantBerry

Hi all; I'm a newbie - just bought a 2017 Canter FGB71 - will be using it for touring. Very lucky find, it even has a 400L fuel tank on the tray ,with plenty space still for my slide-on camper, which is an innovan [ http://www.innovan.com.au/slideon-features-and-functions for ref ] .
My spare sits atop the tank. These Super-Singles are awkward to handle. Any ideas or suggestions that you may have on mounts/lifts etc for the spare wheel would be most welcomed. Photo shows current mounting position. When it comes to changing a wheel, are there any helpful hints on handling/lifting/aligning? Thanks in advance for allowing me to draw on your experience :)
41348_2.jpg41348_7.jpg

Last edited:

gait

Explorer
a thick walled 40-50mm OD pipe, anchored vertically at base so it can rotate, bent (find a CNC pipe bending machine) to the curve of the wheel so the end is about 100mm above top centre of tyre, a pulley in the end of the pipe. A brake winch (easy to wind but stops when winder released) aligned with anchored end of pipe, wire rope through middle of pipe over pulley with suitable hook on the end.

GrantBerry

a thick walled 40-50mm OD pipe, anchored vertically at base so it can rotate, bent (find a CNC pipe bending machine) to the curve of the wheel so the end is about 100mm above top centre of tyre, a pulley in the end of the pipe. A brake winch (easy to wind but stops when winder released) aligned with anchored end of pipe, wire rope through middle of pipe over pulley with suitable hook on the end.
Thanks gait; I've done a little sketch of your description - something like the below ? Any suggestions on how to manage the winch-cable at the bottom end of the pipe when it swings fully down? Wheel is darn heavy- perhaps there's a way using the winch that I can winch it back up again? What d'you reckon?
20200118_143001[1].jpg

gait

Explorer
ah ..... as I envisaged it the pipe rotates about its vertical axis - I forgot that you will have a slide on in the way ....

alternative is a straight arm that pivots about where you've drawn your pivot and a "gin pole" with winch on opposite side of vehicle.

MJCake1

Take a look at Everlanders setup on YouTube might be useful to you. I have an ATW FGB72 with a winch attached to 2 spares on the back of the camper box. Tou probably have seen this setup.

billiebob

Military trucks have some great options. The best ones I've seen are just an L shaped arm hinged to set the spare on the ground with a hydrallic cylinder.

skippythedog

Observer
I have an FG140 with steel super singles. I have a 2000lb hand winch crane mounted in the right rear corner, but I simply slide my spare under a tool box mounted in the nose. My crane is primarily for motorcycles, nets full of fire wood etc.
One thing I have in my bed is a simple 2x4 which rests in a bracket about 3 feet forward of the rear. This is to keep items within reach. I also use this to load my spare and to slide bulky boxes up to the bed. It is a simple matter to roll the the wheel/ tire combo right up into the bed with that.
I think a small crane in the RF corner of your bed would serve you well (you'll really have to beef the bed up) but I think that you'll find that a length of 2x4 or 2x6 will serve you well, rolling the tire first into the bed, then right up to your bracket where an aggressive 2 handed pivot move will slam that tire right into your bracket. A small, thin, strong aluminum or steel tab would hold it in place and allow you to lever it under your tire and roll it out of your bracket. too.....although simply yanking on it and jumping out of the way will work just as well. I'm a fan of multi-use parts. It looks like your tailgate might detach quickly. This might be perfect for this purpose. With your camper on, your side gates are long enough to walk that tire up from the side, though you'd need a step about a foot high once you get next to the bed. Getting rid of that cradle and mounting tire on the passenger side means about 6" less of lift/severe angle to deal with.

IMG_0223.JPG
As to wrestling tires onto your hub, simply get one or two 24" tire irons...One is usually enough, using your strong hand to lever the tire off the ground and rotating slightly with you weak hand to seat on the studs.

Attachments

• RESIZEcrand.jpg
    RESIZEcrand.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 66
  • teree.PNG
    teree.PNG
    61.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Joe917

Explorer
I have an FG140 with steel super singles. I have a 2000lb hand winch crane mounted in the right rear corner, but I simply slide my spare under a tool box mounted in the nose. My crane is primarily for motorcycles, nets full of fire wood etc.
One thing I have in my bed is a simple 2x4 which rests in a bracket about 3 feet forward of the rear. This is to keep items within reach. I also use this to load my spare and to slide bulky boxes up to the bed. It is a simple matter to roll the the wheel/ tire combo right up into the bed with that.
I think a small crane in the RF corner of your bed would serve you well (you'll really have to beef the bed up) but I think that you'll find that a length of 2x4 or 2x6 will serve you well, rolling the tire first into the bed, then right up to your bracket where an aggressive 2 handed pivot move will slam that tire right into your bracket. A small, thin, strong aluminum or steel tab would hold it in place and allow you to lever it under your tire and roll it out of your bracket. too.....although simply yanking on it and jumping out of the way will work just as wellView attachment 562399
As to wrestling tires onto your hub, simply get one or two 24" tire irons...One is usually enough, using your strong hand to lever the tire off the ground and rotating slightly with you weak hand to seat on the studs.
He can't roll it into the bed with a camper in the bed!
A shovel is a great tool for levering a tire into installation. That ELS system looks slick, should be able to use that idea.

sumnrfam

Another option, and one I hope to incorporate into the upcoming dual spare rear bumper, would be a 'portable' system, using climbing / rigging pulleys to create a portable mechanical advantage pulley system. Then you just need a mounting point above the 'spare' and a wheel strap. When you need to change a tire, carabiner it into place, give her a heave ho,and there you go.

Depending on the pulley arrangement used you could have a huge mechanical advantage (7:1 with this example from amazon), and save the weight / power use of an electric or manual winch,,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles