spare tire shaped water storage?

mb1k

Observer
Great idea, searched for spare tire sized water tanks and it got this. This is the area I'm looking to utilize in my Jeep Cherokee KL. Image borrowed from Rocky Road. Still can't find anything, but he propane tank idea is the closest so far.
2014-cherokee-trunk-space.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
coleman 5gal solar shower bags. bagged potable water. You could probably fit at least three of them in there, maybe four. Slightly underfilled, they'll be pliable and can fill that space.

There's now a larger 10gal bag. Against slightly underfill to have pliability and fit in odd shapes. Put it in a cordure bag or surplus GI seabag to provide a sturdy puncture resistent outer skin.

016953_new_show2.jpg

Jsilverado

Titan fuel tanks makes a spare shaped cell. Check them out. They have many different fuel set ups but they may could be utilized otherwise.

MiamiC70

Yes it's expensive but what isn't in the name of overlanding or off-roading? This thread started in 2013 and the best solution was the one posted by @Scott Brady finally in 2020. Do you have any better suggestions or alternatives?
I use a WaterPort mounted on my rack. If I need more than that 5gal Jerry cans in car.

sn_85

Observer
I use a WaterPort mounted on my rack. If I need more than that 5gal Jerry cans in car.

Hmmm okay...you must have missed the title of the thread that specifically asks for a "spare tire shaped water storage". None of which a jerry can or waterport are tire shaped. Plus a Waterport is about $150 and a jerry can is like $50 so you're already $200 into water storage. $300 (for two 6 gallon containers) isn't really that much of a premium for a water container that is hidden in a compartment that is not used and tucked out of the way. I'm guessing that the spare tire water container is meant for those running rear bumpers with a tire carrier or hitch mounted tire carriers and thus the stock spare location is unused. It doesn't take up any space in the cargo area and does not need to be stored on the roof keeping COG low and is likely used to store emergency water just in case. I don't think the idea and price are as ridiculous as you make it seem considering there aren't many alternatives like it out on the market.

MiamiC70

No, I’m not. You are.
Putting water in a spare tire well is a dumb idea. Shape is odd, hard to get water in and out, out of sight and out of mind makes for poor maintinance and therefore poor hygiene. So, yea I get it and at $300 it’s an even dumber idea.

MiamiC70

No, I’m not. You are.
Putting water in a spare tire well is a dumb idea. Shape is odd, hard to get water in and out, out of sight and out of mind makes for poor maintinance and therefore poor hygiene. So, yea I get it and at $300 it’s an even dumber idea.

mgb

In case anyone is looking for inspiration (or curious about how this might work) I think this is the idea behind the spare tire water carrier. I'd love to do this, but perhaps not spend $300+ to make it happen.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
As the tyre dimensions are already known, an enquiry to any tank manufacturer should elicit a quote, whether for 6,12 or 18+ gallons.

If the quote improves on the known price of $300, you're good to go, or to ask for a price for quantity and sell your extra tanks which will surely find eager buyers!

Just a thought...

mgb

Under mounted spare tires are typically mounted though the middle. That's an additional requirement to consider when seeking quotes, and will probably make it much harder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles