Spare tire question

AML

Adventurer
I have a M101 CDN2 trailer that I am installing wheels to match my tow vehicle (same bolt pattern). My original intention was to have the tow vehicle and trailer share one spare. The tires are 33" on the tow vehicle, to include the spare. So my question is I am thinking about only going with 31" tires on the trailer until I get around to messing with suspension.

So my question is would there be any harm/serious issues, pulling this trailer with one 31" wheel and one 33" wheel to a repair facility instead of being stranded on the side of the road? I know this isn't ideal but I figure 2" lean wouldn't be that big a deal driven slowly. Thoughts?

AML

Adventurer
That is what I am hoping. I think my biggest concern would be the fender to tire clearance with the bigger 33" spare. Just checking to see if I am crazy.

tarditi

Explorer
It would be fine - they are free-spinning. It's an issue with gear-driven axles spinning at different rates, but would be fine on the trailer.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
No issue. My concern would be more the wasted money on 31's when you'll eventually do 33's. Not hard to do a spring over and run the 33's. You might even be able to just flip the axle over.

AML

Adventurer
No issue there. They are my older stock wheels. My concern is they are older wheels and that is why I was questioning the spare. Any issue with them not being a dedicated trailer tire?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles