Spare Tire Ladder Steps

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
The only spare tire steps accessory that I have found in the US seems to be the Front Runner. Even though it seems quite nice, I'm wondering what else is out there. It is always nice to compare before laying down money.

If you know of one, or even built your own please post up.

Also, I'd love to see the Front Runner step mounted on a 35", 37", or even bigger tire. If you've seen that, please post up a pic.

Front Runner's Step
Front Runner Spare Wheel Step

Front Runner Spare Wheel Step

Nathansharkey80

I have this and I don’t recommend it. The ladder slides down when you step on it. It doesn’t grip the tire strong enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nathansharkey80

It is on 33” mid tire. I have tightened it as tight as possible with the ratchet strap. But even though it is actually so tight that it is making an imprint in my tire, it still wants to slip down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damarshall7

What about making a small ladder or step that bolts on to the studs that the spare tire is bolted to? Just a random idea that popped in my head.

SixLug

Explorer
Air down spare tire to 20-30 psi, install stairs, tighten ratchet strap as much as possible, air tire back up to 40-50 psi? Should tighten up considerably I would think...

You could also put some rubber strips between the ratchet and strap and maybe see if that would help.

Thoughts only.... I have no desire for one or need for one, but read the thread...

Wilbah

Adventurer
Why not make one out of tubing that "catches" the top of the tire (like a boat ladder). Add a strap behind the tire to hold it in place. Would that work?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles