Spade Connectors 8 gauge

CampStewart

Observer
I want to run some 8 gauge wire at 12 volts to minimize voltage loss. I can't seem to find standard male and female spade connectors that work for larger than 10 gauge, I am not pulling very much current so the standard connectors will work fine. I guess my alternative would be to try to open up the connector or shave some strands off the wire but I would really like to buy proper connectors.

Does anyone know if they exist in 8 gauge and if so where can I find them?

dreadlocks

Anderson Powerpoles, or MC4.. you should not be using spades for a solar setup... Also you should be putting your solar controller as close to the battery as possible and using high voltage from solar panel over longer runs, 18-30v has far less loss than 12v..

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
FWIW, it might be better for heavier cable like that to use a ring terminal. There's several options for those in #8, #10, 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" stud and all various cable sizes.

CampStewart

Observer
Re-reading you ask for male and female, so I think you might mean blade or Faston (0.25") terminals.

TE part number 62998-2 will accept 10 to 8 AWG.

View attachment 518227

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/62998-2?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvlX3nhDDO4ANAwyBjlHa9p78XaMVDcSN4=

I don't see a male (e.g. tab) option, though. Don't see a male option in the larger 0.375" Faston/blade either.
Thanks and yes you are correct I am looking for blade connectors. One of the connections is into a Bosch relay so that 1/4 inch Female type is necessary.

DaveInDenver

Thanks and yes you are correct I am looking for blade connectors. One of the connections is into a Bosch relay so that 1/4 inch Female type is necessary.
That second one I posted will work for that then. One thing to keep in mind is an 8 AWG cable is going to put stress on a terminal so there's some risk that the blade will break off at or in the relay, particularly if its subject to vibration.

DaveInDenver

Be aware that Tyco product shown is designed for use in automatic crimping machine. You probably have to buy a minimum of one roll what is probably 500 pieces.
Further, without the intended crimper, you wont get satisfactory connection. At best you could crimp with whatever is on hand then finish up by soldering.
Mouser's min buy on this part number is 100/piece cut strip at $0.162/each, maybe not quite prohibitively at ~$8 each if you only really need a couple but not cheap.

Personally I'd put in a terminal block for a ring terminal for the 8 AWG and use a 10 or 12 AWG pigtail to the relay.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

To @Verkstad's point Tyco uses an F-crimp (not an RF "F", that's something different). There's dies for some sizes available for hand crimpers so you don't always need to use a machine necessarily to get good crimps with them.

Even the cheap Molex 63811-1000 can do an alright job at it for wires up to 14 AWG.

But his point is that a terminal of this size (8.4mm conductor) will require something larger, maybe only doable by a machine to get a proper crimp.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles