SpaceKap Diablo

Tonymorr

hi, do you know how much weight the cab over bed area can take? i know these werent designed as a camper from spacekap, i want to know two adults can be on the cabover safely.
I don't know the official rating but I would say the weight would not be a problem. There is no way you will fit two big people up there and any two people would have to be spooning in a slight fetal position.

jrubicon

hi Tony, do you have the short diablo? is it worth the investment to transform to a camper? I actually have a Travel Lite camper but i want a slightly shorter ligher camper and prefer to design my own.
do you have any pics?

Tonymorr

Tonymorr

Hey Tony,

Just getting back on here to start posting about my build. What tie downs are you referring to? I saw in your build you have the newer style on the ‘18&up SpaceKaps, is that what you’re referring to?

My camper is still off from the winter. I'll try to take some pics tonight or in the morning. i was mostly talking about the bracket that bolts to the bed sides in the truck. These are special because of the aluminum body.

Nvbrian

hi, do you know how much weight the cab over bed area can take? i know these werent designed as a camper from spacekap, i want to know two adults can be on the cabover safely.

In our spacekap plus we normally sleep two adults and a very large dog (450ish lbs) in the cab over portion. It's an 8ft model if that matters. The bed extends out about 2 ft into the "main" part of the cap and has supports that go to the floor so I guess some of our weight is transferred to the floor.

erstwild

In our spacekap plus we normally sleep two adults and a very large dog (450ish lbs) in the cab over portion. It's an 8ft model if that matters. The bed extends out about 2 ft into the "main" part of the cap and has supports that go to the floor so I guess some of our weight is transferred to the floor.

Just FYI, I was told by SpaceKap that the cabover portion alone is built to hold up to 300lbs for anyone else curious about that.

mattlemoo

My camper is still off from the winter. I'll try to take some pics tonight or in the morning. i was mostly talking about the bracket that bolts to the bed sides in the truck. These are special because of the aluminum body.
Gotcha. Yes I was sent those by SpaceKap but my unit is a 2017 shell, they changed to the newer tie down system you have in 2018. You also got a much better door latch I think too. I’d love to be able to switch but wasn’t able to explain it well to my rep as I don’t speak French and her English wasn’t great. So, I have a cantilever style attachment that seems pretty stout but I’d rather have the newer version.

Attachments

• IMG_5439.JPG
    IMG_5439.JPG
    736.9 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_5482.JPG
    IMG_5482.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 494

Tonymorr

Ah, gotcha. Will the old camper side brackets still work with the new truck side brackets? I would think they will. Truck bracket pic for reference.

Attachments

• Truck Brackets.jpg
    Truck Brackets.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 252

mattlemoo

Ah, gotcha. Will the old camper side brackets still work with the new truck side brackets? I would think they will. Truck bracket pic for reference.
I actually tried but I couldn’t get them to “latch.” The rubber “feet” wouldn’t compress enough. I did end up with another set though so maybe I should try a again. I have noticed really slight rises on top of the bedrails where the feet clamp but it hasn’t been enough to concern me.

ABoverland

Try: usedtruckcaps.ca or Google: Windmill truck caps...they are based in Elora, Ontario. I have a Mory Master 50 on my Ram 2500. Great solo rig!
Okay thanks i will have a look. It's been tough to find one that fits a 6.5 box with the over cab on it.

mobydick 11

Okay thanks i will have a look. It's been tough to find one that fits a 6.5 box with the over cab on it.
I have been driving past Windmill twice a week for the last 5 weeks . They have them lined up across the front of there lot .Pretty much every model new and used . They also have brand new take off truck boxes ,probable 50 of them .

ABoverland

I have been driving past Windmill twice a week for the last 5 weeks . They have them lined up across the front of there lot .Pretty much every model new and used . They also have brand new take off truck boxes ,probable 50 of them .
Thanks I will look to see if i can find one closer to the west coast. If not maybe I will consider a drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles