Spacekap Diablo Expedition Camper Build + F250 Tremor

Hi Everyone,

Welcome to my 1st ever post on Expedition Portal.

My wife and I recently purchased and received a Spacekap Diablo 8ft camper.

For the last 3 to 4 years we have planned to drive the Pan-American Highway, and since day one we had thought about what set up would fit our needs.
Our 1st build was a 2020 Tacoma TRD Off-road with a Project M topper. After returning from our first trip with the truck and camper to Baja, we got rear-ended and the Tacoma needed a new frame (we ending up waited 6 months for the frame to be repaired), but the camper was okay.
With a summer trip planned up to The Grand Tetons and Yellowstone, we needed a truck to mount the project M on.
We found a 1997 F250 4x4 on Craigslist that used to be a forest service truck from Washington and custom fitted the Project M onto the truck. Keep in mind the truck bed was 8ft and the camper was 6ft, but we made it work.
After that summer trip we realized that we liked the bigger truck feeling and that we could carry way more things in the F250 than the Tacoma.
We decided to sell the Tacoma, the 1997 F250 and the project M, to get a newer Super Duty and a bigger camper.
After selling both trucks and camper we bought our current 2020 F250 Tremor with the 7.3 Godzilla Gas engine.
Now we were on the lookout for a camper to purchase or build.
We went to Overland Expo 2021 and we left more confused than ever. What we liked was out of our budget and what was in our budget we didn't like.
We spent the rest of the year looking on Craigslist for a used slide-in camper to restore. We looked at Alaskan Campers, Hallmarks, Avion, etc. Everything we saw was too expensive and needed lots of money and time.
At the Overland Expo this year, we saw the Loki Campers for the first time. We liked the shape of the camper, but after looking at the price of $69K we got very discouraged.
It wasn't until one night spent diving into the World Wide Web that I found a company in Canada that makes the fiberglass shells for Loki Campers, or at least a really close version of it for other industries but with a high potential to convert into a camper.
We called the company and decided to to pull the trigger and purchase one. We bought it through Composite Truck Body and got it delivered to Basil's Garage in San Diego.
At this moment the camper sits waiting for us construct an interior design, and there is a lot to consider.
We like what Loki has done with the camper but after seeing it one more time at this year's Overland Expo we noticed that the camper interior height was only 5'9" and the interior was very dark.
They said they had to add a subframe on the inside and that's why it was only 5'9" inside. Also, the camper seems to be insolated for Canadian winters and we live in Southern California, so our insolation will be to withstand Baja summers and Mammoth Winters (we would rather use one more blanket than loose on headroom)

So here we are, with a blank canvas, ready to be converted into an expedition camper. Follow along on our journey!

IMG_5576.jpgIMG_5577.jpgIMG_0105.jpgIMG_2285.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5578.jpg
    IMG_5578.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 102
This past week we took off the camper to add airbags to the F250 to have a softer ride.
The camper will be off the truck for a little while, here are some pictures, at the moment the camper is a mobile storage until we finish another project we are currently working on (1990 Grand Wagoneer)

Here is a list of the first mods we are doing to the camper:
1- Upgrade tiedowns (maybe the same as the Scout Campers)
2- Build a frame to mount walls and ceiling, also to add rigidity to the roof to later on add a roof rack.
3- Plan the build, we are thinking on wood cabinetry or composite ? What do you think ?

We want this camper to be like a sailboat interior, seamless, durable, light and easy to clean.
IMG_5587.jpgIMG_5581.jpgIMG_5580.jpg
IMG_5587.jpgIMG_5581.jpgIMG_5580.jpg

simple

Adventurer
Cool project. I'm curious what you don't like about the mounting system? I think that is one of the best features of the Spacekap.

Cool project. I'm curious what you don't like about the mounting system? I think that is one of the best features of the Spacekap.
The mounting system is okay, Im going to change the straps that came with it, also the metal plate that allows the strap to go into the camper is sharp and needs to be dull.

Dumpster61

Hello - I am working on a similar project. I have a Mory-Master75 insert purchased at a government auction. It is constructed from sandwich board (R6 insulation). I have completed the exterior fiberglass repairs and paint. I am working on fiberglass of the interior cabinets now. If you would like to see my layout for your use in planning your camper, let me know. I was wondering if you have tried to get insurance coverage for yours yet. I would appreciate any info about insuring it from you or one of you followers.

Hello - I am working on a similar project. I have a Mory-Master75 insert purchased at a government auction. It is constructed from sandwich board (R6 insulation). I have completed the exterior fiberglass repairs and paint. I am working on fiberglass of the interior cabinets now. If you would like to see my layout for your use in planning your camper, let me know. I was wondering if you have tried to get insurance coverage for yours yet. I would appreciate any info about insuring it from you or one of you followers.
Hi, Will be great if you can share your interior set up, and I'm in the process to get it insured, I'm sure I wont have any issues

simple

Adventurer
For Spacekap, there should be a serial number plaque adhered to the bottom door hinge cover on the inside driver side.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Definitely do foam panel / fiberglass glass. If you want wood toss a veneer over it. These caps are really cool. I got to see a heavily used one up close. For being a chopper gun spray built cap they are decently done. I was surprised how well the heavily abused one had held up. ?.

arnavxv

I just sold my Spacekap Diablo build, for no reason due to the Diablo. It's truly awesome and it makes every other truck camper on the market seem like a rattly piece of junk. There's no need to pop it up, it's relatively aerodynamic, and the full-size van-style doors are convenient for loading cargo.

I even ricocheted off a guardrail at 35 mph with the Diablo on and it never budged. That impact broke my outer tie rod, bent my inner, and likely damaged a ball joint and half-sheared off the front recovery point for reference. I was able to drive away from the accident by using a ski strap to connect the tie rod back to the knuckle, but that's another story. But the Diablo is amazing and should last years and years.

For what it's worth, I never insulated mine and was fine. The fiberglass works great and it gave a nice open feeling to the build. Plus, insulation unless done perfect = mold and disgustingness.

With the volume and surface area of the build, plus the gigantic uninsulated doors -- the same amount of insulation won't be as effective as compared to say a larger traditional truck camper or a trailer. So it'd need to be fairly thick if you want high performance (like the Loki). In my case I just put more heaters rather than insulation which I used when it was below 20-degrees. Above 20-degrees a single 2kw diesel heater on max was perfect.

Also, that Loki camper is the dumbest thing on Earth. It's exactly the Spacekap Diablo. They must insulate it with gold to warrant charging $80k for something built on a $10k shell.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne