Spacekap Diablo Expedition Camper Build + F250 Tremor

arnavxv

I just saw your comment about the roof rack. I ordered mine with factory crossbars and there was no reinforcement done, nor any need to do so. I had a 50 lb roof box up there with about ~80 lbs of stuff inside, and have done some tough off-roading like that. I've (190 lbs) also stood on the roof multiple times with barely any flex. They also outfit the Diablos with ladder racks. I think it's plenty enough on its own unless you're putting seriously heavy loads up there.

I just sold my Spacekap Diablo build, for no reason due to the Diablo. It's truly awesome and it makes every other truck camper on the market seem like a rattly piece of junk. There's no need to pop it up, it's relatively aerodynamic, and the full-size van-style doors are convenient for loading cargo.

I even ricocheted off a guardrail at 35 mph with the Diablo on and it never budged. That impact broke my outer tie rod, bent my inner, and likely damaged a ball joint and half-sheared off the front recovery point for reference. I was able to drive away from the accident by using a ski strap to connect the tie rod back to the knuckle, but that's another story. But the Diablo is amazing and should last years and years.

For what it's worth, I never insulated mine and was fine. The fiberglass works great and it gave a nice open feeling to the build. Plus, insulation unless done perfect = mold and disgustingness.

With the volume and surface area of the build, plus the gigantic uninsulated doors -- the same amount of insulation won't be as effective as compared to say a larger traditional truck camper or a trailer. So it'd need to be fairly thick if you want high performance (like the Loki). In my case I just put more heaters rather than insulation which I used when it was below 20-degrees. Above 20-degrees a single 2kw diesel heater on max was perfect.
I've seen your build and was a great one.
These units are build to last, and most of these live in Canada and are used for several purposes and I think most of them do not have insulation.
I will use this camper mostly in Mexico to Patagonia and most of the time will be warm until reaching Patagonia, so I rather put on warm clothes than add a thick insulation.
I will for sure add some but not more than 1 inch. I saw the the Loki Basecamp "Icarus Series" at Overland Expo and it seems heavily insulated and that made the camper way smaller inside, the height of those campers is 5'9" inside, so not much room to move.
My camper as it is has an interior height of 6'4" and at the end with a ceiling and floor, I'm planning to keep an interior height of it 6'2"

I just saw your comment about the roof rack. I ordered mine with factory crossbars and there was no reinforcement done, nor any need to do so. I had a 50 lb roof box up there with about ~80 lbs of stuff inside, and have done some tough off-roading like that. I've (190 lbs) also stood on the roof multiple times with barely any flex. They also outfit the Diablos with ladder racks. I think it's plenty enough on its own unless you're putting seriously heavy loads up there.
I think the only items that will be on the roof is solar panels, a fan, a roof hatch and surfboards, maybe 150 lbs total weight, but will see.

arnavxv

I think the only items that will be on the roof is solar panels, a fan, a roof hatch and surfboards, maybe 150 lbs total weight, but will see.
Another idea is to try to mount the surfboards on the side to save gas mileage. What I did with my 5 gal diesel heater tank was side-mount it by using exterior carriage bolts through the support beams, and two pieces of aluminum angle which I secured it to with a bolt and nuts. Something similar could definitely be devised with a surfboard. Then there's no need to go up to the high roof. But, mounting it high would definitely offer security.

Another idea is to try to mount the surfboards on the side to save gas mileage. What I did with my 5 gal diesel heater tank was side-mount it by using exterior carriage bolts through the support beams, and two pieces of aluminum angle which I secured it to with a bolt and nuts. Something similar could definitely be devised with a surfboard. Then there's no need to go up to the high roof. But, mounting it high would definitely offer security.
Yes, I though if that to, I've seen it on vans. I will definitely will consider that too.

vertiracks-van.jpg

Unfortunately we have to let this camper, still brand new and never taking it out on a trip, we had big plans for this camper shell but our plans changed.
Now this could be yours and start your custom build.
Going for $12,000 obo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles