SpaceKap - buyer beware

dakotaquadco

For anyone considering a SpaceKap for build out as a camper or expedition rig, please consider the following...

I ordered and paid a deposit for a SpaceKap, directly from the factory salesman in Canada. I opted for three very simple upgrades that they offer - a manual vent in the ceiling, a sliding front window like in any topper, and the factory basic roof rack. At time of order and $2100 deposit I was promised 2-3 week delivery time. After week 2.5 I called SpaceKap to check on the progress. I was then informed that there would be a week delay due to a quality control issue in the manufacturing of the front gutter. Okay, not a big deal. At least they caught it and owned up to their mistake. At week 3 I called them to get bank wiring information so that I could complete the purchase and in good faith, wire them the money. At that time I was told that there was yet another manufacturing issue and some kind of mistake was made with regard to the roof and the install of the vent. This second quality control issue was going to add another week to ten days to the delivery timeline. We were now at 6 weeks from time of deposit - twice what was quoted.
This of course got me thinking about what quality level these things really have. After a day of thinking it over I decided that due to SpaceKap's multiple manufacturing issues and inability to deliver their product in even close to the promised time, I wanted to cancel my order and receive at least a partial, if not complete refund of my deposit. SpaceKap has denied a refund and has tried to claim that multiple mistakes in manufacturing "is just part of the fiberglass building process". As a boat builder of nearly three decades, I can tell you that mistakes in the manufacturing process are simply poor quality control, and certainly not a part of building with fiberglass. Fiberglass is not inherently prone to mistakes - poor craftsman are. Because SpaceKap will not take responsibility for their poor quality control, and will not refund my money after doubling their delivery time, I am now taking it up with my credit card company.

So for anyone out there considering a SpaceKap, or the American distributor of their product, I highly recommend you look elsewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94