Spacekap 8 ft + Silverado 2500

e-archin

Here I share the work done on my spacekap since April 2021, I make this post because some of you asked more details. Also, I inform you that I will start the production of this model in December 2022 in Montreal, Quebec.
Feel free to reply to this post if you have any questions about the layout, design, materials used etc.

Specifications:

Total Weight of the following model: 2200 Lbs
Spacekap 8ft from Fibrobec
Adult Sleeping: 4 , lower bed (60x72inch) and upper bed (55x74inch)
Interior Height: 5'11"

Features:
  • Ranger design rack,
  • Renogy 300w solar panels,
  • Bluetti 2000w Inverter/power station,
  • 4 season with wool insulation,
  • 2 Sirocco fans,
  • 2 large artic tern windows 450mm x 900mm,
  • Dometic Sink + outside fresh shower - 90L water tank,
  • Wallas Diesel cook stove and heater,
  • Dometic 35L Fridge/freezer.

Layout:

Truck_Top_view_bed_png.jpg Truck_Top_view_top_png.jpg Truck_Top_view_png.jpg

Inside:
camper_table1.jpgcamper_night_position.jpg
Bed system
P_Campeur_marina  30.jpgP_Campeur_marina  28.jpg

Outside:
P8145289-2-2.jpgP8145370-2-2.jpg

Here is my website, https://lepetitcampeur.ca/

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
IMO these shells are a great starting point for a camper... except for being a few inches too small on width and height, and a couple foot short on the cabover length. If you are smaller in stature that's less of a concern, though.

simple

Adventurer
I recently did a build on one of these with the goal in mind of could it be a production worthy camper. My take away is that while the dimensions of these shells do not lend themselves to a traditional hard side layout, they do make for a camper that fits into a niche of its own. It lands somewhere between a traditional hard side and the pop up canopy / toppers that are popular right now. The dimensions of these shells are pretty similar to the micro size campers that are being made for the small car/trucks in Europe.

rruff

Explorer
There are a few companies (Tufport, Miranda, Spacekap) who make molded shells like this, for utility trucks. Looks like the Miranda might actually be wide enough at 80" external, so a normal height person can probably sleep sideways. The others are narrow. They are all 75-76" interior height, which is kinda tight when you add insulation The camper in this thread has a 71" interior height, and 72" width... comfortable for someone ~5'9" or less. And none of them have a decent length cabover, although the Miranda might be wide enough to sleep up there. Nearly all trucks sold these days have extended cabs, and the cabover should fit that length, ideally.

Of course they aren't made to be used as campers, but with some dimensional tweaks they'd be a lot better suited... comfortable for someone up to 6'2", would be a good target I think.

e-archin

Thanks for your feedback. Just a note, in order to comply with the CSA Z240 series of standards for recreational vehicles, an 80" outside width will need to have adjustments: roof markers.

DRAX

I thought it was for width over 80"?

Canada requires them for vehicles 80"/2.05 meters or more wide. In the US, the FMVSS also has the same requirement and the regulations state "80 inches or more" or "less than 80 inches" depending on what regulation/specifications you're looking at.

So no, it's not "over 80 inches."

Here I share the work done on my spacekap since April 2021, I make this post because some of you asked more details. Also, I inform you that I will start the production of this model in December 2022 in Montreal, Quebec.
Feel free to reply to this post if you have any questions about the layout, design, materials used etc.

Specifications:

Total Weight of the following model: 2200 Lbs
Spacekap 8ft from Fibrobec
Adult Sleeping: 4 , lower bed (60x72inch) and upper bed (55x71inch)
Interior Height: 5'11"

Features:
  • Ranger design rack,
  • Renogy 300w solar panels,
  • Bluetti 2000w Inverter/power station,
  • 4 season with wool insulation,
  • 2 Sirocco fans,
  • 2 large artic tern windows 450mm x 900mm,
  • Dometic Sink + outside fresh shower - 90L water tank,
  • Wallas Diesel cook stove and heater,
  • Dometic 35L Fridge/freezer.

Layout:

Inside:
Bed system

Outside:
Very nice interior, did you made it yourself, I'm currently in the process of building my own, I just received the Spacekap a few months ago.

Kofi Levermann

In my opinion the molded shell is a perfect unit. Those complaining about the size: Tufport is going to produce a slightly bigger camper unit soon.

However, E-archin's/lepetitcampeur's "SHERPA" is a very interesting product, considering the fact that 1/2ton trucks don't come with a high factory payload capacity (Dodge RAM 1500 has 1450-1750LB).
Most available camper units are just too heavy.

rruff

Explorer
Tufport is going to produce a slightly bigger camper unit soon.
Any links?

Also, the Sherpa has a dry weight of 1600 lbs. Unlike many manufacturers, that's probably pretty accurate, but you are going to be way over 1/2 ton GVWR loaded up. Add people, dogs, water, food, stuff, toys, etc... 2500+ lbs is more like it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier