Southwest Disk or Tembo Tusk Skottle?

briferg

Observer
I did a build thread on here a few years ago for a Discada.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/122211-Discada-(Disco)-build

I now have this as well as a TT Skottle. I like them both but they each have their strengths and weaknesses. Of the 2 I use the Skottle the most and have had it a few years now with no issues.

The URL on your build thread seems to have changed. Here is an updated one.
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/discada-disco-build.122211/

01tundra

Explorer
Made sausage, egg & cheese biscuits all on the discada last weekend while camping -

GmP4uLS.jpg

0KZR7Uu.jpg

TIQZsgx.jpg

Scoutman

Explorer
Nice! Did you steam the biscuits or cook them dry? We like doing cinnamon rolls (steamed) but cook them in a cake round pan on that rack under the dome.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have a couple questions regarding the Skottle -

1. Will the lid fit in the carry bag with the disc if you’re not carrying any gas bottles?

2. What is the approximate length of the legs?

3. Approximate weight of the entire system (disc, burner, legs)? I’ve read around 22 lbs?

4. Does the burner have to be removed every time the disc is stored in the carry bag or can it be left on?

Thanks.

1. The bag with fit the lid and two propane cans

2. the Skottle stands at 28 inches so the legs are about 25 inches.

3. yes the weight is about 22 lbs.

4. no you can store the disc with the burner attached

01tundra

Explorer
Nice! Did you steam the biscuits or cook them dry? We like doing cinnamon rolls (steamed) but cook them in a cake round pan on that rack under the dome.

I just used the lid and had them sitting up on the steaming rack (dry), they cooked quick (under 15 minutes). I just got a larger 14.75" rack yesterday that will hold them up a little higher off the disc, should give me a little better control.

JhEzBvE.jpg

Scoutman

Explorer
I would be concerned that having the burner on with nothing in the disc would scorch the surface and ruin the seasoning. Looks like it made a good brown biscuit tho.

01tundra

Explorer
I would be concerned that having the burner on with nothing in the disc would scorch the surface and ruin the seasoning. Looks like it made a good brown biscuit tho.

I ran it on the lowest burner setting possible, so no damage to seasoning occurred. But it did clean off any leftover food that was on it.

Definitely something to keep an eye on though - thanks.

Might be worth hitting the disc with some oil prior to baking, but I was afraid that it would effect the taste of the food.

Last edited:

greenheadsmt

I ran it on the lowest burner setting possible, so no damage to seasoning occurred. But it did clean off any leftover food that was on it.

Definitely something to keep an eye on though - thanks.

Might be worth hitting the disc with some oil prior to baking, but I was afraid that it would effect the taste of the food.

Very cool, where did you find the rack?

Thanks!

GPS_Jon

Disc with fold out legs.

I purchased a medium and a large. The shipping to the USA is expensive but they are well made and work great. Should last a lifetime.

Last edited:

CaptainBuilt

I'm going on a 3-4 road trip around the USA in 2 weeks. I own a Southwest disk, and decided to try the Skottle. I ordered one and it already came in.

I'll be giving road reports with it ASAP.

tango_6

Are there no pictures of any of these where you don't have to cook on your knees? these all look really low to the ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles