Southern California Off-Road Adventure (Eastern Sierra, Mojave Road, Death Valley)

Hey all,

A few months back some friends and I took a 2 week trip down to Southern California to get off-pavement and explore. The trip was filled with great times, incredible views, amazing dispersed campsites, one MASSIVE dust storm, and a few big challenges / setbacks.

I've been working on compiling and editing all the footage that came from that trip, and thought I'd start a thread here to share it for anyone who might be interested in checking some of these areas of SoCal out!

Kicking things off, here's the first video of the series. Hope you enjoy!

Oh, and if you have any questions about anything along this route, don't hesitate to ask. I'm happy to answer.

Cheers y'all!

overlander_phx

Thanks for sharing, the Sierra's our one of our favorite places to explore, especially around Mammoth Lakes. Great drone footage! I've got to become more comfortable with that myself. Question for you; what software did you use to put this altogether?

Thanks for sharing, the Sierra's our one of our favorite places to explore, especially around Mammoth Lakes. Great drone footage! I've got to become more comfortable with that myself. Question for you; what software did you use to put this altogether?

Yeah, that was our first time in the Sierra's and we can't wait to go back. It was incredible!

Flying the drone definitely takes some time to get comfortable with, but once you don't have to consciously think about the controls it gets way easier. Just repetition (and trying not to crash) really. On this last trip I finally got comfortable enough to fly it from the passenger seat while my wife drove. Got some really cool shots that way!

The software I'm using is called Filmora. The pros are it's inexpensive (compared to Premier) and it's pretty user-friendly with a fairly easy learning curve. So far it has been able to do just about everything I have wanted to do with it. The cons are that it's not nearly as powerful as Adobe Premier.

Honestly, if I were starting all over again, I probably would just dive right into Premier .... because now that I'm so comfortable in Filmora the thought of switching and having to learn a new software all over again seems .... unappealing. Haha.

For anyone interested in following along, here is the next video from our trip! In this one, we:
  • Explore a beautiful (and narrow) ridge-top trail with EXPANSIVE views of the Eastern Sierra
  • Visit Manzanar, an internment camp used to house Japanese citizens during WW2
  • Play around and search for for a secluded campsite in the Alabama Hills
Here it is!

After departing the Alabama Hills, we found an INCREDIBLE stargazing camp in the Eastern Sierra. Truly one of the most memorable nights we've ever spent camping.

• Love
Reactions: WSS
Finally, we got to the Mojave Road. This was what this ENTIRE trip was planned around. It had been on my bucket list for a few years, and getting to cross it off the list was incredible! Here is part 1 of 2:

Reactions: WSS
Falling a bit behind here, but for anyone following along with this trip -- here is part 2 of our trip across the Mojave desert!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior