Source Possibilty: Extrusion Connectors For DIY Sandwich Panel Makers

The Artisan

Adventurer
Okay, So what if the Extrusion was FRP as well????

Just make sure it is strong. At the end of the day this is what is holding your camper together. Glue and extrusions, if not strong your panels will come apart.
Kevin

BrettMavriK

That's why one would infuse it with fiberglass strand..... FRP!
This looks promising:
The challenge would be in making the mold.
But, if it could be done with recycled plastic? WOW!
Hell, you could add carbon fiber.
My gears are turning now....

The Artisan

Adventurer
That's why one would infuse it with fiberglass strand..... FRP!
This looks promising:
The challenge would be in making the mold.
But, if it could be done with recycled plastic? WOW!
Hell, you could add carbon fiber.
My gears are turning now....
There you go glad I could help. You could also layup carbon and create an extrusion. Think 2 carbon channels perpendicular
Kevin

opp

Observer
Filon is a brand name at one time it had paper backing ,then hardboard now it frp . Still hard to beat a fiberglass skeleton frame for being flexible and strong.

Attachments

• tr34.jpg
    tr34.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
FRP would be preferred over aluminum as its thermal expansion rate would much more closely match the fiberglass/foam panels. It would not surprise me if the tooling costs for a custom FRP profile were much lower than aluminium.

Reactions: opp

deoc4114

I didn't realize the tmTrailtop components were actually on the market now. I know they're designed around 1/4" plywood walls instead of FRP, but for a first time home builder that seems a lot more approachable. opp, thanks for putting that out there.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

opp

Observer
I didn't realize the tmTrailtop components were actually on the market now. I know they're designed around 1/4" plywood walls instead of FRP, but for a first time home builder that seems a lot more approachable.

trailtop Components is a brand name. Been getting from them for over five years. All hand layer. This way off building with fiberglass has been going on for over 70 years Trailtop Components. Has many profiles. Thy have been setting on the profile that matches the 7'' jeep tub. Will not release tell a grope release there chopper gun cr## You are better to get a profile from a glass shop near you shipping cost. I like the 5/8'' resets 1/4 ply with sealer done right is about 5/8 thick. I like the look of reset skins. The black in the picture is rust- oleun play sand .To me better than any bed-liner .cost under $50.00 US to do whole trailer. Trailtop Components premade kit 41 & 90 & 8 degrees profiles. The 90 make killer bed covers.

Attachments

• Picture 460.jpg
    Picture 460.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Picture 414.jpg
    Picture 414.jpg
    581.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Picture 445.jpg
    Picture 445.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

jwiereng

And I conversed with Total Composites, and the said they will not sell their extrusion alone.

Did they tell you why they would not sell the extrusions alone?

It would be a good idea to have a glue channel in the extrusion.

Here’s a photo of the extrusion from Total Composites notice the glue channel. I suppose VHB tape of appropriate thickness could also be used in the groove. It would not be easy to remove the backing film. 5721B1F3-68E1-4639-AFC9-528401C8E20B.jpeg

jwiereng

I didn't realize the tmTrailtop components were actually on the market now. I know they're designed around 1/4" plywood walls instead of FRP, but for a first time home builder that seems a lot more approachable. opp, thanks for putting that out there.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Please provide a link to the trailtop components that are allegedly now a commercially available product.

jwiereng

[/QUOTE]

Very nice. Thank you for the link.

Are these the people that commercialized the ideas from jscherb?

opp

Observer
Are these the people that commercialized the ideas from jscherb
LOL these profiles been around for 75 years The out fit I get them from have making profiles from 1960.
holl crap did you see the prices . I get hand laid for $10 a running foot NOT $18.75 per running foot for chopper gun. from trailtop. org are trailtop. net . There was a out fit try to get $35 a running foot for the same thing . Better to have made near you to save on shipping. over the 75 years they been around that alignment tab is a place for air pockets Hell you can get the hand layer on Ebay @ $10.00 a foot under Trailtop fiberglass component trailer D.I.Y. cover corner kit M 100 / M416 I think you would have to order one with resets tabs . Not the one with a mounting flanges. Here 3 done with no wood

Attachments

• 45 g.jpg
    45 g.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 48
  • tr34.jpg
    tr34.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

jwiereng

Trailtop.org and trailtop.net do not appear to be proper web addresses to companies who make the components as shown in your photos OPP

eBay search led me to a notice that they’re not for sale. AE8D9977-068C-433F-9D99-61CEA5A26F69.png

opp

Observer
Thanks Mr. Jiewereng .Will Try to get right info. I hope there not raising prices as I translate this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz