Source needed: Made to order wire with connectors

I’m working on setting up my winch. I’m installing a fuse and a disconnect. I need a source for a few pieces of 2 gauge wire with ring terminals properly crimped on. Is there a company that I can specify the type, length, gauge, and terminals that will make them for me? I’m not sure about spending the money on a crimping tool and all the bits and bobs to make them myself. I don’t see much repeat usage in the future, but I’m worried if I mail order I’ll get a crimping hack job and end up going DIY anyway.

A Temco 5 ton crimper is $80.Parts probably another $40, maybe more if I need to buy multi packs. Mule Expedition Outfitters is relatively close by in Portland. Perhaps they can make them for me and I will be able to inspect before payment.

shade

I’m working on setting up my winch. I’m installing a fuse and a disconnect. I need a source for a few pieces of 2 gauge wire with ring terminals properly crimped on. Is there a company that I can specify the type, length, gauge, and terminals that will make them for me? I’m not sure about spending the money on a crimping tool and all the bits and bobs to make them myself. I don’t see much repeat usage in the future, but I’m worried if I mail order I’ll get a crimping hack job and end up going DIY anyway.

A Temco 5 ton crimper is $80.Parts probably another $40, maybe more if I need to buy multi packs. Mule Expedition Outfitters is relatively close by in Portland. Perhaps they can make them for me and I will be able to inspect before payment.
If you don't want to buy a proper crimper, Bay Marine Supply will make up custom cables, and they'll use proper terminals and tooling.

Another known-good source:

dreadlocks

GenuineDealz makes good stuff, when it gets to the heavy gauge I've not been able to justify it cost of a crimper.. even after tons of jobs, the quality of crimps and cable from sources like them would be expensive to recreate.. I'm not looking for speaker wire or welding cable normally so sourcing good heavy duty marine cable in a desert state is easier said than done.. not like I can swing by a marina supply.. so once you factor in the order, having it pre terminated is rather negligible.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Welding shops can usually make cables. The quality, like many places including marine and heavy equipment shops, varies. Some of them just dimple the terminal with a hammer crimper or use uncalibrated pneumatic crimpers and if so I'd look elsewhere.

I bought an FTZ HD crimper years ago and it's been used more for friends than myself. The old saying goes "When you have a hammer everything looks like a nail." Well with a good set of crimpers everything gets a proper length heavy cable.

john61ct

Adventurer

top-notch source for marine-quality supplies as well

$1 per crimp on top of their usual prices for the supplies

top-notch build quality, fast turnaround

cannot recommend them enough

sister company

better ricing on bulk quantities, e.g. full rolls of boat cable, all above applies

_____

and PowerWerx

01tundra

Explorer
This crimper will work fine for your application and on the plus side you will have it for future use, and there will be future use. I've made well over 50 crimps from 6AWG - 1/0 and it's worked flawlessly. I have a set of Powerwerx crimpers for my 150A Andersen plugs, but for wire lugs the IWISS crimpers work well.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
This crimper will work fine for your application and on the plus side you will have it for future use, and there will be future use. I've made well over 50 crimps from 6AWG - 1/0 and it's worked flawlessly. I have a set of Powerwerx crimpers for my 150A Andersen plugs, but for wire lugs the IWISS crimpers work well.

I have a set of these HX-50B crimpers. The older one with the dies sized in mm rather than AWG. They seem true to gauge and do a nice 6-sided crimp. The dies align well and are symmetrical.

They have short handles so for largest sizes they would be a lot of work to fully cycle but for 8, 6 and maybe a thin wall 4 AWG terminal they are a lot easier to handle and more than adequate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles