Source for High Current Relay *Harness*?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Hey all. I'm rounding the bend on (finally) getting my OBA installation complete. Been sorting lots of details like making mounting brackets, etc. but I've got one dangling detail:

Does anybody know of a source for a relay/harness kit that takes 30+ amps? (Specifically, I'd like to find a kit that has the molded relay socket, preferably for a standard relay like Bosch style, etc.)

Looking on Amazon, eBay, and several Electronics vendors, I see a lot of kits that include 30A or 40A relays, (or higher!) but connector/harness is pre-wired with undersized pigtails. Most kits are 14 or 16AWG. A couple I've seen include 12AWG for the load and 16AWG for the coil, which is better, but depending on which Ampacity chart you consult, that's still potentially undersized for a compressor that will pull 25+ amps, and down-right dangerous if you tried to use with the advertised max current. (And I don't relish the idea of the relay harness being the weak link in the chain.)

The wiring I'm running for the compressor will be a short run of 10AWG, and at the moment my plan is just to use spade crimps and attach straight to the relay terminals, but like I said - I was hoping to find a relay socket.

Thanks!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Nice, yeah that's a strong contender, since the 10/12 crimps should be up to the task.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
You might be better off with something like this. Then make up your harness to whatever colours, wire size & length you like.
You bet me to it, I've used this Hella kit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLA-H84709011

Fits Hella relay 007794301, which is 40 amp continuous rated.

john61ct

Adventurer
If you want a more robust result without investing in pro-level crimping gear

do a great job, marine spec, $1 per crimp on tip of the cost of supplies

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles