Soooo....I got stuck! Any recovery advice?

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I think what sun riser is saying is Wyeth Scott.

The advice here is sound but assumes he has a spot to use a high lift jack on. Looking at the vehicle, the story, and the question I am going to assume he has nothing to use as a jack point for a high lift. I would venture to say the only solid recovery point he may have is a rear trailer hitch and that would be a stretch also as it is a stock looking rig and I am not sure that would be the best spot after a weekend getting deeper in goo with the suction growing.

This is going to require a ton of digging. The only real way to get it out without damage to the rig will be to spend a few hours digging out the rear of the vehicle and then the use of the tracks, a snatch strap / chain will help pull it free. To be honest your best bet is to dig it out as you will need to do that to find a spot to attach a chain or winch cable to. If you just go pulling on it without digging it out plan on the mud and suction causing some problems with whatever is being pulled and dragged out by force.

What do you need? A couple of shovels, a lot of time, a snatch strap, mats / tracks and a vehicle not stuck to assist.

I think the hilift suggestions are referring to using it as a winching device, not a lifting one. The hilift can actually be used with the stock bumper as it can lift from where there is a cutout for the rear recovery point. As for recovery points any D3 comes with front and rear points, both tied to the frame. They work just fine. The trailer hitch on the D3 is a separate attachment, and should not affect the use of the OEM recovery point. Agree it needs some digging out as prep.

brushogger

Explorer
Using the hi lift with the lift mate attachment allows you to connect directly to the spokes of the wheel. Using a large base under the jack, you can lift each wheel and fill underneath, or place maxtrax there.

zelatore

Explorer
Any farm store will have one.

Scott & Wyatt come along one of the best out there .

Something like the Wyeth Scott is what you would need to move a vehicle. The sort of come-along you find at Home Depot/Lowes/Harbor Freight/etc is pretty much useless for recovery work. They're handy for other odd jobs around the home/ranch/etc but don't buy one thinking it's going to move your rig when it's stuck. As a kid I tried it plenty of times and the results were universally a failure. A hi-lift and some chain will serve as a workable come-along, as will a top-quality unit like the Wyeth Scott, but again I don't think you need it for this situation.

I think what sun riser is saying is Wyeth Scott.

The advice here is sound but assumes he has a spot to use a high lift jack on. Looking at the vehicle, the story, and the question I am going to assume he has nothing to use as a jack point for a high lift. I would venture to say the only solid recovery point he may have is a rear trailer hitch and that would be a stretch also as it is a stock looking rig and I am not sure that would be the best spot after a weekend getting deeper in goo with the suction growing.

This is going to require a ton of digging. The only real way to get it out without damage to the rig will be to spend a few hours digging out the rear of the vehicle and then the use of the tracks, a snatch strap / chain will help pull it free. To be honest your best bet is to dig it out as you will need to do that to find a spot to attach a chain or winch cable to. If you just go pulling on it without digging it out plan on the mud and suction causing some problems with whatever is being pulled and dragged out by force.

What do you need? A couple of shovels, a lot of time, a snatch strap, mats / tracks and a vehicle not stuck to assist.

The LR3 has decent stock recovery points front and rear but no, no place to use a hi-lift unless you use a wheel-mate.

As for the digging and tracks, based on what I can see in the video those would be nice but don't look needed. As you pointed out, you nearly got out with your buddy pulling you. If he'd been using a kinetic strap he'd have bounced you right out - I'm willing to bet on it. So if you can get back to that same situation where you have a truck who can pull but just substitute a kinetic strap/rope for the tow strap you tried the first time I think you'll be golden. By all means bring shovels with you - and not those little folding toy things but real 'digging a ditch' full size shovels. Better safe than sorry. But from the video I bet you can get out without the extra manual labor.

I speak from experience. I've stuck and recovered plenty of LR3s.

Using the hi lift with the lift mate attachment allows you to connect directly to the spokes of the wheel. Using a large base under the jack, you can lift each wheel and fill underneath, or place maxtrax there.

This is exactly why I invested in the LIFT MATE for Hawaii mud and sand. Works great to get the wheels out and the MaxTrax or dig out under as well as break the suction effect. I also have a steel plate I made for my Hi-Lift base that helps stay on top of the mud/sand better than the standard plate.

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
We had a very similar situation on our last outing at Winter Romp.My friend's highly modified and loaded to the gills D2 got stuck very deep in mud . Leaving his truck till next day as it was -10 F outside and everything was freezing very quickly,was not an option.A tank would probably not get him unstuck next day from that spot. As people gathered to think the situation over , I pulled my brand new Big Bubba Rope with two 7/8 shackles and hooked him up to my LR3.Befoe anybody said what? I gained some momentum and there he was out with no drama.He said that he could not feel a thing , no hard bang, shock or sharp jerking, it was as seamless as velvet.all we ever used before was recovery straps, until I used a solid product, that was built for one specific purpose, to use a kinetic force of one truck on another stuck vehicle. One has to feel it to believe the difference. Few hours earlier, in similar situation that also involved a de beaded tire,we used my trusty Bushranger air jack to lift his D2 up so we could comfortably work on dislodged tire .This operation was performed on deep snow , so hi lift jack would be useless in this particular situation.I also own many other recovery gadgets along with a Scott Wyett come along with Amsteel Blue syntethic line,that I used at the beginning of my off road ventures in local woods later to learn a rule nr.1 of off roading, that you never go alone if you don't have to.
My lesson from it is, that proper equipment helps, but Good equipment helps immensely and winch is not always necessary or helpful, especially when there is no way for a truck to turn around and winch you out, if you don't have one or there is nobody behind to help you.
Be careful though, when pulling LR3 out of anything.It is a heavy beast,heavier, that most of my friends expected at one time.We were winching ourselves up a steep curvy,very icy and snowy hill,coming out of a deep stream with a high ledge and as everybody was fine, it took two Defenders wedged onto themselves and strapped to trees behind them to pull my up this hill. Without two straps on their rear recovery points connected to trees,i was pulling them both towards me.in fact one 3/8 synthetic line did not make it alive,so to speak, breaking.

Last edited:

Silmarillion

Observer
Here's my list of gear I'm taking out. (And gear for future outings!)

ARB 2-3/8th x30 recovery strap - 17.5klbs capacity, 20% stretch
ARB 3x10 Tree Saver Strap 26.5k lbs capacity
Reece 20' Tow Strap - 17.5k break srenght (good for a snatch strap extension?/the original tow rope in video)
ARB Orange Recovery Damper
4 MAXSA Escaper Buddy traction mats (Sorry Maxtrax, I couldn't find any in Atlanta and I got free 2 day shipping! $139/pair)
Smittybilt trifold shovel - I'm going to make sure my friend has big shovels for this trip
2 Rugged Ridge 3/4 Black D-Ring, 9,500lbs capacity
2 gloves and muscles.

We are supposed to have a 4wd tractor coming down to help us out. (PUNNNN....sorry)

Is the D-Ring sturdy enough with that rating for this use? I have not come across a come along yet. I don't own a high lift. It sounds like a home depot lift will not do the trick.

I'm supposed to be getting a compressor for my birthday (Monday - bad timing huh?) so I'll have to inflate the tires with my bike pump....yae.

zelatore

Explorer
Here's my list of gear I'm taking out. (And gear for future outings!)

ARB 2-3/8th x30 recovery strap - 17.5klbs capacity, 20% stretch
ARB 3x10 Tree Saver Strap 26.5k lbs capacity
Reece 20' Tow Strap - 17.5k break srenght (good for a snatch strap extension?/the original tow rope in video)
ARB Orange Recovery Damper
4 MAXSA Escaper Buddy traction mats (Sorry Maxtrax, I couldn't find any in Atlanta and I got free 2 day shipping! $139/pair)
Smittybilt trifold shovel - I'm going to make sure my friend has big shovels for this trip
2 Rugged Ridge 3/4 Black D-Ring, 9,500lbs capacity
2 gloves and muscles.

We are supposed to have a 4wd tractor coming down to help us out. (PUNNNN....sorry)

Is the D-Ring sturdy enough with that rating for this use? I have not come across a come along yet. I don't own a high lift. It sounds like a home depot lift will not do the trick.

I'm supposed to be getting a compressor for my birthday (Monday - bad timing huh?) so I'll have to inflate the tires with my bike pump....yae.

Yeah, you can use the tow strap as an extension for the recovery strap if you have to, but I would avoid it if possible. Hopefully it doesn't have metal hooks on the ends; those things scare me. I've broken a cheap tow strap (eye tore out) and it snapped pretty good. With the weight of a steel hook attached, it could have caused some damage. Ideally you wouldn't have any steel in the joint between the two straps; you would hook them together with a toggle.

A quick search finds this video. Crappy production quality, but his points are correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le7SiVeLAUg

BTW, you will be hating life if you actually have to use that little tri-fold shovel. It's better than using your hands, but that about it. If you have the space (roof rack, whatever) get at least a 4' shovel. Something that can reach under the truck half-way and let you work without being on your hands and knees. No need to spend big money on something 'expo'...the hardware store will work just fine here.

As for your entire equipment list, if you can't get 'er out with all that you need to take up a new hobby!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94