Soooo....I got stuck! Any recovery advice?

Silmarillion

Observer
Thanks for all the great advice y'all! I'm headed back out on Friday. It's a ways in on my buddy's 100 acre lot out in the boonies. Hopefully no one knows about it!

I've got 4 of the maxtrax knockoffs coming, I'm going to find some kinetic rope (would have saved the day if I had that in the truck!), a couple good shovels, and I'm on the lookout for a good come-along winch. I don't own a high jack and am not very close to any decent sized trees.

Thanks for the offer Mike! I'll let you know how well they work.

Looking at the vid - we were pretty close to pulling it out! Wish we didn't give up. We were on a deadline to get the 3.5yr old home and I had to work.

https://goo.gl/photos/fG2e2WEDH1BAaKPA6 (video)

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Nice bog!

Second what Ray said. Buy once cry once when it comes to equipment... reminds me I need to order a set of maxtraxx too... Ronny Dahl did a few videos about the differences between maxtraxx and competitors brands, and IIRC he broke 4 tred boards in seconds doing a hill climb.

As others have mentioned kinetic straps would be great if you have the run-up room. That said I have to imagine a good anchor, a hilift, and some winch extension straps or chain would be a great fall-back.

zelatore

Explorer
First, don't bother with your basic hardware store come-along. It's not much of a recovery tool. If you have some other uses for it sure, but don't buy one just for this.

Second, it looks like there's solid ground just behind you, correct? If so, a simply yank with a kinetic strap will have you out in about 2 minutes. Bubba Rope is probably the best but the ARB and others work fine as well.

Lastly, if you're going to get a recovery board you really need 4 and you really want MaxTrax. I've used a few generic versions and I've used the real deal; there is a difference! 4 of them would likely get you out of this, particularly since you're not buried on the passenger side, but I still think your easiest move is a snatch strap. One quick yank and you should be free. Don't be afraid to hit it with some speed (OK, don't be stupid but don't do it at 5 mph) - these things really do make a soft hit and work amazingly well.

You're a Prime member, right?

http://www.amazon.com/ARB-ARB705US-...&qid=1458098145&sr=8-1&keywords=kinetic+strap
http://www.amazon.com/Bubba-Rope-17...TF8&qid=1458098270&sr=8-1&keywords=bubba+rope

Avslash

Observer
If that were me, and i had access to it, i would put the tractor on it.

A good tractor is the best recovery device ever invented. Just a bit difficult to cart around.

zelatore

Explorer
If that were me, and i had access to it, i would put the tractor on it.

A good tractor is the best recovery device ever invented. Just a bit difficult to cart around.

As a kid, dad let me drive his '56 Case in the field next to the house. I didn't understand differential braking and got on a muddy side-hill I couldn't turn back up. I decided my best bet was to gas it and try to get through the creek at the bottom of two hills.

That didn't work so well. I buried it to the axle

The solution? A bigger tractor, of course!

Last edited:

A.J.M

Explorer
Also. No one has mentioned it but the faces of your wheels will be marked to hell and back.

Be a nice time to refurb or colour change.

Ray_G

Explorer
I'll go out on a limb and say MaxTrax will be useless here , but I think they're pretty useless in most situations . A shovel , and winch , and some manpower is what I'd use...

Interesting comment, since going with maxtrax as part of the normal load out among those I wheel with frequently I've found we use them far more than we pull cable or strap out; previously there was a lot more of that but with the maxtrax its usually just a matter of getting them positioned and crawling out.

dlh62c

Explorer
It pays to stop, get out and assess the situation. I'm no spring chicken anymore, it's all I need to add to the situation by stroking out or having a heart attack during the recovery effort.

Many years ago my father and I got a truck and trailer stuck along a fence row on his farm. Knowing the temperatures were going to drop over night, we left and returned early the next morning when the ground was frozen and drove out.

FYI, any farmer knows the dangers of rear tractor tires freezing to the ground. Trust me, it happens and is a real danger. It's a wild ride you'll never forget. Be careful during the recovery effort that the tractor doesn't flip up and over with you on the seat.

Last edited:

ColoDisco

Explorer
I will add to the chorus of using maxtraxx. I have a pair and want to get another pair. They would definitely get you out in this situation.

Silmarillion

Observer
First, don't bother with your basic hardware store come-along. It's not much of a recovery tool. If you have some other uses for it sure, but don't buy one just for this.

Second, it looks like there's solid ground just behind you, correct? If so, a simply yank with a kinetic strap will have you out in about 2 minutes. Bubba Rope is probably the best but the ARB and others work fine as well.

Lastly, if you're going to get a recovery board you really need 4 and you really want MaxTrax. I've used a few generic versions and I've used the real deal; there is a difference! 4 of them would likely get you out of this, particularly since you're not buried on the passenger side, but I still think your easiest move is a snatch strap. One quick yank and you should be free. Don't be afraid to hit it with some speed (OK, don't be stupid but don't do it at 5 mph) - these things really do make a soft hit and work amazingly well.

You're a Prime member, right?

http://www.amazon.com/ARB-ARB705US-...&qid=1458098145&sr=8-1&keywords=kinetic+strap
http://www.amazon.com/Bubba-Rope-17...TF8&qid=1458098270&sr=8-1&keywords=bubba+rope

Thanks for the link! I have one ordered. Where would you get a come along then?

TravelinLight

Observer
I think what sun riser is saying is Wyeth Scott.

The advice here is sound but assumes he has a spot to use a high lift jack on. Looking at the vehicle, the story, and the question I am going to assume he has nothing to use as a jack point for a high lift. I would venture to say the only solid recovery point he may have is a rear trailer hitch and that would be a stretch also as it is a stock looking rig and I am not sure that would be the best spot after a weekend getting deeper in goo with the suction growing.

This is going to require a ton of digging. The only real way to get it out without damage to the rig will be to spend a few hours digging out the rear of the vehicle and then the use of the tracks, a snatch strap / chain will help pull it free. To be honest your best bet is to dig it out as you will need to do that to find a spot to attach a chain or winch cable to. If you just go pulling on it without digging it out plan on the mud and suction causing some problems with whatever is being pulled and dragged out by force.

What do you need? A couple of shovels, a lot of time, a snatch strap, mats / tracks and a vehicle not stuck to assist.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz