Something followed me home: 7 slot love

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
One of our security cameras caught my middle kid and I taking the flattie for a quick spin on Saturday. Still no radiator installed (or brakes for that matter), so I only do this for a few moments to spin the car around in the driveway. :sombrero:

securitycam.jpg

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Sorry for the lack of updates. I only get a few nights a month to work on this particular project. I've also taken the mindset that this Jeep's main purpose is:

1). Therapy for me. Even if I'm just turning a wrench on a few bolts to swap a part out, it allows a bit of breathing room for my brain

2). An opportunity to fellowship with my kids and my guy friends. To date, I've had about a dozen wrench/build sessions - all time I cherish with folks in my life. Case in point, my dad is coming down this weekend to have a visit and a "wrenching" weekend with me. :)

Here's a few updated pics:

Attachments

• refinish.rear.jpg
    refinish.rear.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 11

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
As you can see, I've gone grey for the sheetmetal, black for the trim/brackets with red Willys highlights and eventually red wheels.

I waffled on keeping the patina or not, and in the end I decided that this rig is likely never going to be a show rig, and if I were a farmer and if this were a working vehicle, paint would simply be a rust preventative, so I put a respirator on myself and my middle daughter and we went to town cleaning and prepping the sheetmetal. so far we have 4 coats, that we have wet-sanded in between each coat.
Engine compartment will eventually get some "snazzying" up with some high temp black and new stainless steel hardware.

refinish.front.jpg

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
There are definitely some area's needing rust repair (look near the rocker panels)...but I actively decided early on that the sheet-metal is a 2ndary priority to mechanical baselining and resto-mod upgrades.

I'll probably end up simply pulling the whole body and putting it on a rotisserie using vendor-supplied patch panels. At that point, i'm thinking of rhino-lining/bedlinering the bottom of the tub and floor of the cab for rust-proofing, as well as, sound deadening and heat protection for the occupants.

refinish.sides.jpg

Copasspupil

Observer
This is a nice project and I'm jealous. For your rust repair try phosphoric acid, its cheap and turns the rust into a paintable metal. Really interested in where it ends up and I get the therapy idea. We all need it...

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Copasspupil said:
This is a nice project and I'm jealous. For your rust repair try phosphoric acid, its cheap and turns the rust into a paintable metal. Really interested in where it ends up and I get the therapy idea. We all need it...

:26_7_2:

Jurfie

Adventurer
Really interested in where it ends up and I get the therapy idea. We all need it...

I think all Jeep owners need therapy of some sort! At least we're all supportive while we're being enablers. :ylsmoke:

If I'm ever down in SD, I'd love to turn a few wrenches during a group therapy session!

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
So, my dad and i had an awesome time working on the willys this weekend. He drove all the way down from his place to mine (4hours) to wrench, relax and hangout with the grandkids.

Partial list of what we got done
1. Re-installed refreshed driveshaft
2. Installed front shocks (need to buy rear shocks)
3. Installed front disc brake brackets
4. Installed/test fit front discs/rotors
5. Did research and took measurements for likely custom front soft brake hoses.
6. Properly bolted down fuel tank, front seats and transmission hump inspection covers
7. Worked on custom alternator bracket,
8. Head-scratched on custom f-head motor mounts.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Baby steps:
Picked up some custom hoses for my disc swap. These are jeep fitttings on one end and the suzuki banjo fitting on the other.

image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles