Something followed me home: 7 slot love

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Good work. The last things that followed me home were a Mitsu Fuso motor home and a '69 Commando. If I'm going to putt around town, I still take my 3B.
The Jeeps, Mitsu-Fuso and '53 Buick earn the most smiles per mile from me and other people. Get out there and drive it.

Thanks! love to see pics of your commando. I rocked a '72 all through high school.

unkamonkey

Explorer
is there a way that I can figure out more via a Willy's vin database?

Both the CJ2A and Early CJ5 sites have decent threads in vin #s

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
bracket.jpg

Picked up my Suzuki Sidekick calipers, discs and pads. The brackets seem to line up just fine. :victory:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Life being life, I'm finding that I'm only getting bits and pieces of time to work on this project, but I carved out a chunk earlier in the week to get a few things done

1. get motor off engine hoist onto engine stand
2. Pull oil pan and inspect bottom end
3. begin further disassembly of the engine in preparation for cleaning and machine shop work.

I honestly don't know what the shop is going to tell me, as the top end of this motor looks fairly clean, but the bottom end has a preeeetty good amount of rust. I as I pull out the crank, cam and see if I can carefully dislodge the pistons I'm aware that this thing is going to likely need quite a few new parts. Walck's and Kaiser-Willys have pretty comprehensive rebuild kids, so that's a definite plus.

I think that I'll be happy if I can A) Re-use the head, block and crank B) re-hone/re-grind the cam C) re-use at least a few of the ancillary pieces like the oil pump, fuel pump, etc...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wow, great find! Any more these days it's hard to find an old flat fender that hasn't been hot rodded or otherwise molested.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Wow, great find! Any more these days it's hard to find an old flat fender that hasn't been hot rodded or otherwise molested.

Thanks, brother. That was what drew me to it, honestly. I don't mind mending a well-used body, or welding on reinforcement plates to a tired frame, if it came by that use honestly and without any bubba'd modifications.

Parts have been 100% available and very inexpensive so far - I kick myself for not finding one sooner, since historically I have picked out projects that are either un-feasible, or so knackered they become more of a headache than anything.

As far as wrenching goes, i've enjoyed the simplicity, robust engineering and overall good shape of this rig so far.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Might be taking a right turn on this build...this motor is looking to be a bigger rebuild than I'm looking to take on money and time-wise.

Found a deal on a different drivetrain I can shoehorn in there for now...

Don't fret, though...jeep/Willy's purists wont be disappointed.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
wow, so it's been a while. I've done quite a bit of work to this willy's that I've dubbed the "desert Rose"

On Christmas eve, she fired up for the first time in about 3-4 years according the previous owner, using the swapped in Fhead.

Just about a week ago, I finally reattached the clutch cable and got everything sorted in that regard, and I was able to fire up the jeep and pull it outside under its own power.

willysoutside1.1.jpg

willysoutside1.2.jpg

willysoutside1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles