Some questions about AWD Express/Savana

Scotty D

I absolutely love mine.
300 hp is plenty of power
The transmission is the weak link and you should never tow anything with this.
Yes you need to keep things light but its easy to do , my build includes solar , fridge , kitchen bed and tons of gear and I am fine on weight. Dont use particle board
If you stay light and air down your tires, you can drive right down the beach.

There is nothing anywhere near this price range that is this capable offroad in a full size van.

Choff

Adventurer
I absolutely love mine.
300 hp is plenty of power
The transmission is the weak link and you should never tow anything with this.
Yes you need to keep things light but its easy to do , my build includes solar , fridge , kitchen bed and tons of gear and I am fine on weight. Dont use particle board
If you stay light and air down your tires, you can drive right down the beach.

There is nothing anywhere near this price range that is this capable offroad in a full size van.
I have not had any issues with the trans on our van? Pulled trailers also, and have had van in mountains also.
I did change filter and fluids in trans, with about 95,000 miles.
Run in tow haul mode when pulling also helps the RPMS.
I would say the weakest link in the AWD van is the front Transfer Case !! had a bearing go out on mine., rebuilt and cost 1,600 dollars. GM issue.
And made it home too.
This van has never left me on the side of road !!!!

Teacher88

Only problems I have had with my awd savana is with the abs / traction control system. Its been an ongoing issue i caint get figured out. I suspect its one bad wire somewhere. This is a know gm issue. Like what has already been said this is the best bang for your buck and will take you anywhere u want to go within reason and still be a daily driver. Best decision I even made.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sparklingwalter

Finally got to drive one of these today, and wasn't particularly bothered by the four speed transmission. What I was bothered by was the noise. Holy cow this thing is LOUD. I mean, I know it's a work vehicle but jeez. The road noise and engine noise...I can't imagine driving this thing for hours.

So...back to the drawing board!

Scotty D

I wonder if there were some common problems or you are just one soft cupcake.
First, if the doghouse is not latched properly , you will get surprising engine noise.
Second , some tires make way more noise than others
Third, if it was a cargo van with bare walls , it can be ungodly loud in there. That goes away if you do your build correctly
Its never going to sound like your prius though

whith

I have a lot of time in an AWD as a well as my diesel van and I agree, if there was holy cow level noise coming from the engine bay then the doghouse must’ve been poorly fit. If it was an empty metal cargo van then yes, that can cause some noise resonance from the rear.

sparklingwalter

I wonder if there were some common problems or you are just one soft cupcake.
First, if the doghouse is not latched properly , you will get surprising engine noise.
Second , some tires make way more noise than others
Third, if it was a cargo van with bare walls , it can be ungodly loud in there. That goes away if you do your build correctly
Its never going to sound like your prius though
I'm just a soft cupcake. With chocolate icing.

I've started reading up on sound insulation though, and thinking maybe I can make it quiet enough that my ears won't be ringing after a few hours on the road.

shakazulu12

Probably just perspective. Coming from a 4Runner, an empty cargo van is going to sound pretty bad. Just applying some sound deadening to the walls and ceiling makes a huge difference, as you are essentially sitting inside a motorized echo chamber. Go drive a passenger version and see if the sound is still objectionable to you. You should be able to get a cargo down to that level of noise with a day's work installing some sound deadening. Or, just start with a passenger as you had mentioned earlier on.

goin camping

Explorer
So far pretty happy with our Express AWD. We live and play in the Mojave. Van goes some surprising places. Ours came with 3.73 gears with limited slip rear. Very helpful.

Unlike previous 3/4 ton 4X4 trucks that powered over everything. This guy just bounces along. With bed, fridge, solar, toilet and gear. Still travels light and easy. Unless you are an overpacker. The 1500 is about perfect for a light, affordable get you out there AWD camper.

Also tow a 4,000 pound Airstream for when the wife and hounds go. Tow/haul on, In D not overdrive and take your time. No problems.

We did add the Suburban springs and crank the keys for some more ground clearance. Suburban springs improved the ride too.

IMHO, Look for a van conversion to a highway van limo. Lots of good insulation, ceiling lights and vents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke