Some questions about AWD Express/Savana

sparklingwalter

Hello! I'm in the market for an AWD Express or Savana as both a daily driver and to build as a simple RV for weekend camping (whitewater kayaking, mountain biking, etc).
  • I see pretty minor changes over the years. Are there any years that should be targeted/avoided in my search? My number one concern is reliability. (Budget is up to $20k).
  • I haven't found much information on what options were available year-to-year. Looks like: windows or not, cargo or passenger, swing or slide doors. Is there anything else that you would say I really want to have my eye out for?
  • More generally speaking, if you were in the market are there any things that would make you say, "Oh yeah, this is a good one - I'm gonna buy this?"
  • Finally, I keep flip-flopping on passenger vs cargo (or, more importantly, windows vs no windows). I know this has been discussed in the past, but please share your thoughts!
Thank you!

marret

I would want a 3500, or at least a 2500, with a 6.0 liter if gas, and 2010 or later with a 6 speed or more gears. My 2008 3500 with a 4 speed would really benefit from an extra gear or two.

Cargo vs passenger is really personal, but getting a cargo allows installation of opening windows with screens and more insulation.

sparklingwalter

I would want a 3500, or at least a 2500, with a 6.0 liter if gas, and 2010 or later with a 6 speed or more gears. My 2008 3500 with a 4 speed would really benefit from an extra gear or two.

Cargo vs passenger is really personal, but getting a cargo allows installation of opening windows with screens and more insulation.

AWD only comes in 1500 with 4 speed.

marret

If the AWD part is most important, right they are 4 speed and as mentioned there were a few 2500s made and pre-2010. On the other hand, there are Quigley or Quadvan 4x4 vans available as well. The challenge will be finding a 2010 4x4 for $20k or less.

Something like this:
Chevy Quigley

More room in the budget?
2014 Chev Express Quigley
2008 Chevy Quigley

Last edited:

marret

If you will really keep a minimal build 1500s aren’t that bad. Problem is GVWR and what you add. Will really have to watch weight with a 1500.

Many 4x4 converters like don’t do 1500s although Boulder Offroad does sell some products. Weldtec Designs products are for 2500/3500s. Etc.

dleeallen

Adventurer
They are basically the same as you noticed across all years for AWD vans. 2008 had a minor interior refresh but nothing special. Cargo is better if you ever want to put a high top on it so you don’t have to deal with roof airbags. Driver side doors was an option in the earlier ones if you want the access but give up the wall space.

Factory bluetooth and steering wheel radio controls are about the most advanced features they had later on. On Star too. Easy to add an aftermarket radio with carplay to solve the bluetooth issue.

Some like the G80 locker in the rear diff. Nice to have probably but I never had an issue without it in the Northeast winters.

I think the biggest thing to watch our for is rust. They rust very easily if they see any salt. The rockers will also fill up with dirt if they spend a lot of time on dirt roads - then turn into mud in the rain and rot out the rockers even faster.

Transmission and transfer case are probably the weakest point in the driveline but easily fixed and not too terrible cost. Otherwise it’s just normal Chevy truck stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sparklingwalter

If you will really keep a minimal build 1500s aren’t that bad. Problem is GVWR and what you add. Will really have to watch weight with a 1500.

Many 4x4 converters like don’t do 1500s although Boulder Offroad does sell some products. Weldtec Designs products are for 2500/3500s. Etc.

Yeah, this will be a pretty basic build - mostly for weekend camping, usually in campgrounds. I'm coming from a 4runner with a sleeping platform and just looking to take a little step up from that: A bed I can sit up on, space inside for my whitewater kayaks and mountain bike inside, etc.

dleeallen

Adventurer
Well, power is what I would call decent or adequate. The 5.3 makes ok power but the 4 speed trans sucks. When was the last time you drove a 4 speed? Lol It’s fine overall but won’t be your favorite part of the van!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shakazulu12

I think everyone went to the payload without really asking what he intends to do with his build. True, they don't carry much weight. But he's coming from a 4runner so it's going to carry about double the weight he's used to already. They are fine for the purposes he is describing. The 4 speed does suck, but the 5.3 and 4l60 were in several million trucks and vans for years and everyone managed to get where they needed to go usually. If you are going all out on the build, then yeah, you are going to want a 2500 or heavier. But if it's just a lightweight weekend type of rig that isn't going to be rock crawling, then you are going to be absolutely fine. There are tons of build threads and one long gigantic info thread on the AWD vans here if you search for a moment.

They really didn't change much during their production cycle. Cleanest/newest you can afford. They are tougher to find though. I live in the PNW and they seem to command a premium around here and don't come up very often. There is a dealership in the midwest somewhere that seems to buy every clean one at auction and hordes them. I forget the name, but if you look on Autotrader it will be readily apparent. The white paint is crap on just about all GM vans, but finding one that's another color further diminishes the buying pool. As far as passenger vs cargo. Totally your call IMHO. Depends on how much you want to re-configure the interior.

Choff

Adventurer
If you can find a good one, full boat Conversion Vans are nice too!! , We can buckle up 7 passangers, or pull chairs out and but bed down for camping.
I have been driving an 05 AWD Savana conversion van for 13 years, Got 225,000 miles on the clock, I put 185,000 miles on it.
Got lucky, it does not burn oil, leak oil, no major engine work done.
We use it for camping, long drives, skiing, and loads of stuff it hauls, and its my daily driver.
It's paid for in may ways!!!
And it's a 1500 that I don't overload, has air bag's for loads and pulling trailers.

Attachments

• IMG_4550.JPG
    IMG_4550.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles