Some Project Rigs...

NorthCounty

New guy here...Figure I would join the forum as a Montero fan and expand my knowledge / network amongst other fans. Picked up my first Montero a little over a year ago and absolutely love it. In the early 90s I remember seeing Gen 1s and Gen 2s from time to time and thinking "I like that." May be a mid-life crisis but started doing some research on them and picked one up. Own 3 now and each one is great in it's own way. Here they are...94 SR 91 RS and the newest find 89 Raider.2019-01-07 10.58.15.jpg2019-01-07 10.56.21.jpgPhotoCollage2_temp.jpg20190103_124645.jpg2019-01-07 10.56.21.jpgPhotoCollage2_temp.jpg20190103_124645.jpg2019-01-07 10.58.15.jpg

NorthCounty

Sort of an addiction. Pretty much done buying rigs. After the initial purchase of the Gen 2 I had to have a Gen 1 and stumbled on the 91 for $500 (super straight, clean interior, leaks some oil and had a tranny line leak). Couldn't pass up a runner for $500. The SWB was a fluke. Happen to jump on CL last week and almost right in my face "89 Raider $2,800." I immediately pulled the pin. CL ad had been up for 15mins. I had been looking for a SWB 3.0L with a 5spd for some time but wasn't really planning on buying one as they are nearly impossible to find. This rig is basically one owner 154k original miles, interior near mint and exterior is a 9.5/10. Called the guy and said "I'll take it."

Look at the drivers seat in the Raider...crazy. Had not planned on owning three of these things.20190103_152320.jpg20190103_152308.jpg

NorthCounty

Have run several brands of MTs over the years including all the BFGs. KM3s are by far (in my opinion) the best BFG MT made to date.

airbox

Looks like you are on the western side of the state! I live in Issaquah. Good to see another montero owner around the area.

NorthCounty

Yes sir, the Great NW! You are right, don't see a lot of Montero's rolling around. I'm in the Portland metro area and from time to time see a Gen 2 rolling around and the occasional Gen 3. Gen 1's on the other hand are super rare to see in the road. The metro area is completely saturated with newer 4runners that all look the same and Jeeps. I have seen some pretty sweet Delica's in the metro area lately and a couple Toyota Ace vans. I love the 4wd import vans but my wife has advised there will be no more vehicle purchases.

hondadude

Instagram profile @dahlenadventures
Man I’m jealous! I’ve been looking for a Montero to get in before they get any harder to find. I live in Bend and have only seen a 2nd gen and a 2.5. Hopin I’ll have one soon cuz I want something more capable. Got some good lookin rigs though man. “thumbs up”

NorthCounty

Man I’m jealous! I’ve been looking for a Montero to get in before they get any harder to find. I live in Bend and have only seen a 2nd gen and a 2.5. Hopin I’ll have one soon cuz I want something more capable. Got some good lookin rigs though man. “thumbs up”

Thanks man. You are right about Central Oregon. I frequent the CraigsList and review most of Washington, Oregon, Northern Idaho and Northern California in regards to Montero/Pajero/Raider/Delica. You don't see a lot listed in the Central Oregon area for sale. Patience I guess is the key, oh and some luck! The popularity is growing and with that prices have gone up.

Because these rigs are not very common on today's roads, it has increased my love for them. Finding quality used/new parts is a pain but equally sort-of fun. Each one has it's own qualities. Clearly the 94 SR is pretty capable from the factory and hauls 7 passengers (important for us having 4 kids). The 91 RS is not so capable being a RS but may be my favorite rig to drive around town. Classic design/lines and floats down the road (I did add a bouncy seat :) ). The 89 Raider is a time piece, pretty legit lil machine with the 3.0L and LS.

Good luck on your search! There are some seriously knowledgeable folks in the PNW in regards to these rigs and tons of help.

hondadude

Instagram profile @dahlenadventures
Yeah your 89 looks like it was just driven off the show room floor! I'm hopin to find a 92-00 but I need to be patient and not just get the first one I find. Want it to be solid and at least decently taken care of. I like that it's unique! Get tired of all the toyotas and jeeps cuz they all look the same haha! I mean yeah they are great rigs but that doesn't mean there aren't other good vehicles out there too. Hence the Montero. Well hopefully luck will be on my side and I'll be able to get one before the prices and rarity goes against me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles