Some O.J. Reference: A Bronco Build

WasteOfMoney

Resident Boy Scout
Long story short I don't do trucks. I'm a lowered car guy that is sick of standing around parking lots. To be fair I traveled the country in my teens, including 11 days and 90+ miles remote hiking/camping at Philmont Scout Ranch in northern New Mexican Rockies, Sierra Nevada trips with Scouts, many miles on the Appalachian Trail covered, and I consider myself to by a conservationist and practice leave no trace camping. I want to extend my knowledge to some overlanding adventures with pals. My wife has always told me she wants a Bronco, ideally a 1st gen. I grew up in the 90s and the newest vehicle we ever owned was my dad's '95 F150, so OBS Ford does all of the good nostalgia stuff to me. We settled on an OBS Bronco (that I think I got a steal on).

It runs and drives, 4x4 high and low both work, heat and AC do as they should, the interior is 90% together, but the back window is busted out, has a power steering leak and the rear spring hangers disappeared years ago so the spring has been riding on the body long enough to cause some serious damage. It's really not that bad compared to other trucks I've looked it.

My plans this year (progressive):

-Rust Repair
-Fiberglass 3in bulge bedsides
-Fiberglass 3in bulge fenders
-New Tailgate and window
-3ish inch suspension lift
-??? front springs
-Camburg Extended Radius Arms
-Deaver Q80 2.5in wide springs
-??? shocks
-35x12.5x17
-Wheels TBD

I'd like to say "Yeah, I'm going a 4 link, coilovers, tube frame mods, full accessories." but I should probably pay my mortgage and feed my children. I think I have a reasonable goal for 2018 and am looking forward to input!

20180305_165144.jpg

20180306_183758.jpg

20180307_180146.jpg

20180307_183145.jpg

20180307_183150.jpg

Here's my commuter, I'm pretty proud with this one:
12646822_10207472729049236_7759531424610466288_o_zpsu3ulo0ew.jpg

20180307_074127.jpg

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Rust is going to be the biggest headache with your project, but you seem like you know what you are doing. Loving the Benz, part of me has always wanted to find a mint older diesel for a daily driver.

Those Deaver Q80 2.5" wide spring you might find are a bit too soft for carrying a load of gear. Those are designed for the gofast guys. Check out Atlas Spring they make a progressive type spring similar to Deaver and they also offer overland springs that can handle the extra weight of gear. Yeah those Deavers will give you a nice soft ride but not handle the load. Whatever you do don't go with any kind of add a leaf type spring. Everyone I know of that ever ran them toss them later on because they rode too harsh.

Before you go adding on the the fiberglass body panels think long and hard of what you actually be using the Bronco for. Forget the fantasy stuff and be real about your decision. Yes Bronco's do look great with wide body glass and wide go fast stance but it is not really what is needed for reaching those out of the way places.

WasteOfMoney

Resident Boy Scout
Those Deaver Q80 2.5" wide spring you might find are a bit too soft for carrying a load of gear. Those are designed for the gofast guys. Check out Atlas Spring they make a progressive type spring similar to Deaver and they also offer overland springs that can handle the extra weight of gear. Yeah those Deavers will give you a nice soft ride but not handle the load. Whatever you do don't go with any kind of add a leaf type spring. Everyone I know of that ever ran them toss them later on because they rode too harsh.
I'm a backpacker so I assumed I'd pack light, but you're absolutely right about having more weight than a go-fast truck. I'll have to look in to the Atlas spring! Thanks! AAL springs were never on the table. I want to enjoy my truck, and I found out from driving lowered cars that the cheap/easy way out takes away any joy out of driving.

Before you go adding on the the fiberglass body panels think long and hard of what you actually be using the Bronco for. Forget the fantasy stuff and be real about your decision. Yes Bronco's do look great with wide body glass and wide go fast stance but it is not really what is needed for reaching those out of the way places.
I'm not too worried about the extra 6 inches overall as I'll largely be traveling with a Power Wagon that has some considerable tire poke, plus an extra 2ft of wheel base. My current situation is rusty fenders and bedsides...surprise, right? Fantasy aside, I'm a tight wad and I'm predicting broken fiberglass. I'd rather replace the glass than fix the metal.

WasteOfMoney

Resident Boy Scout
Rust is going to be the biggest headache with your project, but you seem like you know what you are doing. Loving the Benz, part of me has always wanted to find a mint older diesel for a daily driver.

So far the rust looks to be easily replaced parts. The body might prove to be a pain but I'm invested! Frame looks great from the front bumper to the rear, and that's what really matters to me.

h2aGSx8.jpg

QEbK83X.jpg

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I second what Hillbilly says about Atlas spring. Going fast means light springs, if you want to haul around camping gear, water, etc, the weight builds up fast. Camburg makes great stuff and I also recommend you check out Solo Motorsports, and Desolate Motorsports for Bronco suspensions. All of them make good stuff so you should be able to shop price and service knowing you will get a good product.

If the previous owner was driving around with the spring riding on the body I would not be surprised if the body was not twisted in that corner. Do you know how the back window got broken? You already have some big rust holes in that body; removing more material for fiberglass fenders will make it weaker. You might want to run some braces in key spots to reinforce the body. Broncos are known to develop cracks in certain places from all the flexing.

Last edited:
Amen on the cracks. Seems like that is all I have been doing is fixing cracks and internal bracing to help them. A pillars both sides at the top of the windshield, B pillars both sides, rain gutters and roof seams So far that is all I have found. It gets worse if you add any kind of roll cage or do a lot of flexing. It took a long time and a lot of research to decide how I wanted to cage mine. Decided I am setting the body on poly mounts in factory locations, bet money your body mounts are shot and rusted. Going to allow the body to float around the cage, no floor flanges or body tie ins anywhere. Cage legs will pass thru sealed opening in floor and attached to the frame with poly bushed outriggers. Yes it means a smaller caged space, like a cocoon for driver and passengers. Have to allow enough room for body to move without hitting the cage. Seats have to be tied to the cage not the floor.

WasteOfMoney

Resident Boy Scout
Thanks guys! I understand the headache surrounding the rust, that's why my game plan is to get the truck on it's feet, then fix the rust in the rear of the truck before I start modding. I have the LMC catalog to order replacement panels (I'm a believer in stamped sheet > welding in some angle). I've thought about doing a rear cage to pick up new seat belt mounts, floating the body does seem like the safest option at this point. As far as the structure in the rear, I'm going to build a frame for a drawer system out of 1" square that I'd like to bolt into the floor, as well as side to side. I think this should make up for the lack of metal bedsides.

The rear window was busted out so a thief could get some free subs. Finding free audio equipment is awesome.

If you want body panels that fit and weatherstripping that works use Dennis Carpenter stuff. He bought all the original Ford dies and he reproduction part are spot on original. Other companies like LMC the quality can be very iffy.

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
All free stuff is awesome!

Love your enthusiasm, keep posting and sharing your adventure. It will feed the forum and the forum will feed your enthusiasm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94