Solving Ambulance Camper electrical issues plus induction cooking vs propane.

shade

There is a dedicated battery combine switch that runs two solenoids that connect the starter batteries to the house batteries to provide a ass ton of starting power.
If you keep that capability, make sure the wiring back to the starting battery can handle the increased amperage of a larger house battery bank.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Personally I would not mix battery ages in the same bank. Ideally all batteries that are parallel for discharging should be the same size, age, and brand.

AGM batteries are not a good value for most deep cycle applications (look at fork trucks, golf carts, etc, all flooded). As mentioned, 2 or 4 GC2 duracell/deka brand flooded batteries will cost you less than 110$ each, and provide excellent service. They will need the water checked every 90 days or so, and an equalize charge every month ideally.

DO NOT trust the AGM/flooded/etc settings on any charger. You must physically verify the voltages and absorb times. The majority of consumer grade chargers go to float much to early. It takes hours at the absorb voltage to fully charge a lead battery. Failing to get a full 100% charge when cycling a battery will dramatically cut its lifespan.

Many AGM and flooded batteries can be charged with the same absorb voltage. Review the MFGs specs to determine. With the GC2 batteries above, you can use the Trojan GC2 recommendations, as they are a good match (just much better value).

Last edited:

dreadlocks

4 GC batteries would also be better suited for that mega inverter this thing has, ~250A of potential load is better suited to be spread across 4 batteries than two.. wont be as abusive.

AGM's are a gimmick in vehicles, its alot of money for practically nothing in return.. dont piss your money away on em, with your capacity and desire for a large bank, its just going to compound the expense further and the odds are they wont last as long as a good GC bank.. if you wanna buy premium batteries, get Trojan FLA's, still cheaper than cheap AGM's.

Xantrex usually makes good chargers, how many amps is that one yeh got?

Last edited:

iggi

Ian
Thanks again guys.

Checked voltage after work today. 10 hours sitting and voltage dropped from 13.2 to 13.01 (wasn't a full charge)
That seems ok for a couple batteries that I've run full flat several times. ??

@luthj Point taken. I'll replace with matching batteries. Still debating between going induction cooktop vs gas. So not sure

@dreadlocks it's a Xantrex Fleet Power 1000. Rated for 1000 watts continuos and 3000 peak. Has a pretty nice battery charger built in too. 3 Stage, 50 amp, etc.
Rated for 100 Amp continuos. Don't see the peak amps listed.
Here's the data sheet if you are curious at all: (Xantrex website)

I had looked at the Golf Cart batteries and they seem great. Also @Bikersmurf recommended them.
My only issue (and I'm being a fuss pot) is they don't fit into the really nice sliding battery drawer that Crestline built. (it's sized for Group 27)

Anyone know of a true deep cycle Group 27 battery?
Everything I've found is at best a marine type that still lists CCA so I assume this means it's not a true deep cycle battery.

DSC00108.jpgIMG_9291.JPG

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I see your challenge. There are some shorter floor scrubber batteries Trojan sells. You might peruse their deep cycle/industrial catalog.

Photobug

My induction cooktop numbers are below. It all depends on what you are cooking, but it varies from 5AH (at 12v) for some water for coffee or tea. All the way to 60Ah for cooking some pasta, and pan frying some meat/veggies. My toaster oven modified with insulation does pizzas for about 20-25AH.

That seems like a lot of AH for some Italian food. Why did you choose electric over propane?

dreadlocks

an indoor kitchen in cramped quarters would be safer w/electric if the capacity was available, there's a reason why I prefer outdoor kitchens and its largely because of flames.. plus its "renewable", LP Quality starts to get quite questionable in world travels, many countries you have a mixture of butane w/it which can make it difficult to use at altitude or cold temps.. its nice to only have to transport one type of fuel for everything.. with that huge alternator and inverter, he could cook entirely powered w/his engine.

shade

I'm considering a move to all-electrics for the same reasons. I don't have heat & air con to worry about, so it's really down to heating small amounts of water, running an efficient fridge, and cooking.

dreadlocks

yeah I'll be getting a little induction burner for my trailer soon, once I have the genset mounted outside permanently.. one bad thing about my trailer design is the awning does not cover the kitchen, when I rebuild the slide out kitchen this winter about the only thing I can do is add an umbrella holder heh.. but in high winds or just crap weather nobody wants to be out there miserable.. so cooking inside on the fold up table on an induction sounds like a good backup.

I use a lil rice cooker crockpot for making hot meals while we are spending a day away from base camp.. wife made hawaiian pulled pork in it for easter, mmmmmmm.. Microwave is pretty sweet for long legs of road trips, I can pull over and nuke a burrito and make a coffee at a rest stop w/no services.. and get back on the road and still make decent time to the next destination.. wont take long of skipping fast food joints and starbucks before microwave pays for itself.. even if it dont see alot of field use due to its energy needs.

Photobug

I am sticking to LPG. I don't plan on taking my truck overseas. Between all the costs of caring and feeding enough electricity to cook with that is a lot of propane tanks worth of cooking and heating.

shade

I am sticking to LPG. I don't plan on taking my truck overseas. Between all the costs of caring and feeding enough electricity to cook with that is a lot of propane tanks worth of cooking and heating.
Ever thought of swapping an LFP bank between your truck & boat?

Alloy

yeah I'll be getting a little induction burner for my trailer soon, once I have the genset mounted outside permanently.. one bad thing about my trailer design is the awning does not cover the kitchen, when I rebuild the slide out kitchen this winter about the only thing I can do is add an umbrella holder heh.. but in high winds or just crap weather nobody wants to be out there miserable.. so cooking inside on the fold up table on an induction sounds like a good backup.

I use a lil rice cooker crockpot for making hot meals while we are spending a day away from base camp.. wife made hawaiian pulled pork in it for easter, mmmmmmm.. Microwave is pretty sweet for long legs of road trips, I can pull over and nuke a burrito and make a coffee at a rest stop w/no services.. and get back on the road and still make decent time to the next destination.. wont take long of skipping fast food joints and starbucks before microwave pays for itself.. even if it dont see alot of field use due to its energy needs.

A pop up canopy would cover the cook area. The 10'x 20' we've had for 8 years is probably the best thing we bought for camping. Our family has spent many hours enjoying lightning and rainstorms under it. When traveling it is strapped to the outside of the trailer so is doesn't matter if it is wet or dirty when put it away.

dreadlocks

I was thinking more edge of seasons and in winter, where a lil wind or rain/snow is a bit too brutal and indoors is nice and warm.. but yeah I been eyeing a portable canopy, but it'd likely have to ride inside, all wet and soggy.

Photobug

Ever thought of swapping an LFP bank between your truck & boat?

I am considering it.

Both the boat and truck have their own series 24 battery combo battery. I am building a portable box to carry back and forth between the two. Because I cook with propane, my electricity needs are minimal. I have been camping in 3 days segments and come home with plenty of battery left and barely dent a 1 lb propane tank. My truck has a 3 lb propane tank built into it, I have never touched. The only thing preventing me from being able to camp longer is refrigeration, which I don't have space for anyways. My biggest constraint from camping longer is my dogs which are just getting mature enough to take camping with us now.

I am deeply invested in propane, it works for me. My guesstimate is between, a heater, grill, cooktop/grill combo, and a half dozen 5 gallon propane tank, I have probably $500 invested. Just guesstimating an all electric setup as described would cost as much as $4000, I would rather spend that money on other things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94